Thread: Rebarreled stevens 200 using criterion or shilen heavy sporter stock fit info please

Rebarreled stevens 200 using criterion or shilen heavy sporter stock fit info please

I am wishing to rebarrel a stevens mod. 200 .270 win. With a criterion or a shilen heavy sporter barrel in 6.5x55 caliber. My question is: Will this combination work in a boyds featherweight thumb hole stock? I assume some barrel channel widening would be needed, but is there enough wood to allow this modification?
    I am a novice (on this sight, as well as, rebarreling a savage/ stevens) so if this is in the wrong forum i apologize! More experienced builders inpur would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, mark.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRACKERJACK3006 View Post
    I am wishing to rebarrel a stevens mod. 200 .270 win. With a criterion or a shilen heavy sporter barrel in 6.5x55 caliber. My question is: Will this combination work in a boyds featherweight thumb hole stock? I assume some barrel channel widening would be needed, but is there enough wood to allow this modification?
    I am a novice (on this sight, as well as, rebarreling a savage/ stevens) so if this is in the wrong forum i apologize! More experienced builders inpur would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, mark.
    You'd need to measure your factory barrel to see how the contour compares to the Shilen to know for sure-I'm 90% confident it wouldn't be drop-in- but it shouldn't take much to open up the barrel channel to free-float the Shilen in the standard Boyd's stock. Your option is to go with the bull barrel inlet- which would guarantee you won't have to mess with the barrel channel, but it would be oversize. Not an issue other than aesthetics, if it bothers you.

Opening up the barrel channel on the standard contour is simple, dowel of appropriate diameter wrapped with sandpaper until you get adequate free-float, then touch up the bare wood with some poly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    You'd need to measure your factory barrel to see how the contour compares to the Shilen to know for sure-I'm 90% confident it wouldn't be drop-in- but it shouldn't take much to open up the barrel channel to free-float the Shilen in the standard Boyd's stock. Your option is to go with the bull barrel inlet- which would guarantee you won't have to mess with the barrel channel, but it would be oversize. Not an issue other than aesthetics, if it bothers you.

Opening up the barrel channel on the standard contour is simple, dowel of appropriate diameter wrapped with sandpaper until you get adequate free-float, then touch up the bare wood with some poly.
    I put a heavy sporter in a boyds prairie hunter last summer for a savage 110. It dropped right in and is still free floated but not by much. It passes the dollar bill test but a business card is starting to get tight (I like at least a business card thickness). However, the rifle shoots so well I decided not to sand it out at all

With a criterion or a shilen heavy sporter barrel in 6.5x55 caliber. My question is: Will this combination work in a boyds featherweight thumb hole stock
    Yes!