Thread: Savage 110 .243 Long Action Convert to Actual Long Action

Savage 110 .243 Long Action Convert to Actual Long Action

So it seems as I have a Savage 110 .243 that is a Long Action from what I'm discovering.

I'm looking to convert this rifle to a chamber that actually is long action. (Considering 300 or 338 RUM potentially).

1) what is needed to machine on this rifle to do so, seems something to do with the magazine well.

2) once done, would I ever be able to put back together as a .243 if for some reason I wanted to or would I be stuck in the new caliber?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

For the record, I'd like to go 338 RUM

Did you confirm the action screw spacing? Is the barrel the factory barrel, with the warning stamnps on the right side of the barrel in front of the nut and the "Savage Model 110 .243..." on the left side of the barrel in front of the nut?

You will need a magnum bolt head (after confirming the long action screw spacing). The rifle looks like a stagger feed action. Your magazine box and follower will need to be changed out. I'm not sure if there is a 300 RUM magazine box, or if a modified 300WM will work. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

If that is a long action with the short action magazine you would be better off parting ways with that rifle and using the funds from it towards what you’re really wanting. I would strongly suggest you take a good look at more current rifles. Nothing wrong with the older ones, but if you’re wanting to customize, the newer platforms are easier to find parts for. Believe me, I know, probably on the short timers list around here for trying to acquire some parts. Go figure.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Mag if that might be a better platform?

I would say that it might be a better platform but only due to the configuration, although a Savage(the right rifle) can be built easier and for less $ than other rifles. In your instance I would probably leave the vanguard alone, and sell my 243, bank that money towards your ideal rifle. Again, just my 0.02€

.243 was my dads so selling isnt an option, I'll just buy a 7mm savage if that's the best option. No biggie.

If I remember right, those old short action caliber rifles that were manufactured on a long action receiver have a different bolt head on the bolt that limits rearward travel of the bolt when cycling the action that might even add another layer of nope to the equation.
    In addition the .300 RUM magazine as well as the action cutout is even longer than the standard magnum calibers so if you want more than a single shot, even on a rifle that came from the factory as a magnum, some machining will most likely be necessary. Another thing that comes to mind, I'm pretty sure almost all of the factory produced .300RUMs were built on large shank actions.
    Basically if you want an RUM it's probably most economical to buy one.

On the bright side, the bolt head, small shank action, and magazine that you have are the most common sizes so if you want to swap barrels to something with a little more thump like a .308 or a .338 Federal (I've read it's supposed to be close in energy to a 7 mag) It's entirely doable with nothing more than a barrel swap.
    Good luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    If I remember right, those old short action caliber rifles that were manufactured on a long action receiver have a different bolt head on the bolt that limits rearward travel of the bolt when cycling the action that might even add another layer of nope to the equation.

Good luck

Its not the bolthead, it’s the baffle that has the extension to limit bolt throw. Simple to swap out but no benefit because you’re still stuck with the small mag cutout.

Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    Its not the bolthead, it’s the baffle that has the extension to limit bolt throw. Simple to swap out but no benefit because you’re still stuck with the small mag cutout.
    Thanks I knew there was an additional limiting factor in there somewhere
    :)

One of my favorite posters offered this advice in one of his many contributions to this and other sites.

"The Savage actions can be used as a repeater, but modifications need to be made.

On stagger feed actions the magazine opening needs to be opened up like a center feed action.

Center feed actions themselves don't need to be opened up.

The next thing to be modified is the magazine itself. I did my repeater with a stagger feed magazine. I cut the tabs off. Slotted the forward end so the bullets will stick out. Notched the rear for bolt clearance. Then I glued the whole thing into the magwell of the stock. I'd think you could do similar to a center feed magazine.

In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble to do the modifications to make the Savage a repeater. They make great single shots. I hate to say it but the Remington 700 is better suited for a big RUM repeater."
    -Geargrinder-
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

My staggerfeed 116FLSAK chambered in 300RUM that I picked up around 2002 came from the factory ready to rock as a repeater so they are out there. From what I've been told, the factory .300RUMs are few and far between and the southpaws are nearly as rare as frog hair. With a little time and persistence they can be found. A lot of the .300RUM chambered guns have been re barreled to .338 Edge repeaters. Mine sits in the safe most of the time because it's just waaaay too much gun for the southern U.S. and I haven't seen any pesky garden rhinos or T rex lately.

Basic Member
    I bought a 243, that ended up being setup the same way. Long action, small magazine, baffle is not the problem, but the machining, as the mag cutout (not mag well) is SA size. I actually wanted a 243, so I am using it as is, got an X Caliber barrel and it is cloverleafing shots.

I had actually thought about sending it to be machined to open up the slot and regain the versatility of a long action, but as mentioned, it is not worth the trouble. It won't work as a repeater for a LA cartridge, but I will not use it for such, as I also have a 110 7mm Rem Mag.

In the long run it may be less hassle to get a new action, but for now both have same bolt throw and very close configuration so, it helps to keep things constant.