Thread: Indian head

Banned

Indian head

Is it true they removed the indian head from all of the new savage rifles. If so is this a case of political correctness

My 10 Precision Carbine has the IH. My 10 Predator Hunter does not. I wondered the same thing when I got the Predator Hunter but then moved on to shooting stuff.

Basic Member
    Not about political correctness.

Banned
    Seems like it to me

Basic Member
    Savage Rifles Logo

In Case you were wondering where the logo came from ( I know you were)

Origin of Savage’s Indian Head Logo
    You may wonder about the Indian head logo Savage arms still uses as its trademark. Here’s how it came into use. In 1919, Chief Lame Bear (illustration below) approached Arthur Savage to purchase lever-action rifles for the Indian reservation and the two men struck a deal. The tribe would get discounted rifles and Savage would get their support and endorsement. It was at this time in the company’s history, that Arthur Savage added the Indian head logo–a direct gift from the Chief–to the company name.

"As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Although I never heard one way or another, I too figured (assumed) it was just out of "political correctness". I never really researched the matter.

The folks at Savage swear up and down it had nothing to do with political correctness or any complaints/pressure in that regard, and instead insist it was just rebranding/modernization of the brand. I can buy that in part - new look for new ownership makes sense, but I don't for a minute believe that P/C didn't play a role in it as well, even if just a little one.

What I find absolutely amazing however is that the team of branding and marketing guru's responsible for coming up with a new logo couldn't come up with anything better than a simple "S" that's about as appealing and attractive as a fresh pile of dog crap. Then again, in this day and age where everyone can find a way to be offended by anything, that "S" is probably the only thing 100% "safe" to use as a new logo.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Now that you know the real truth, that doesn't hide the fact that there are still ignorant individuals out there that look at the name "Savage" and think it's a noun describing a member of a primitive and uncivilized tribe, not a proper name. Coupled with the image of Chief Lame Bear, they add 2 and 2 together, and think that all native Americans are being exploited.

Somewhere down the trail, the neck ties will feel the need for some "big medicine" when they hit a dry spell, and the spirit of the "Chief" will return....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Good Stuff Fred. I did not know that.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Of course it is PC, no matter what spin is put on it.

The new stylized logo is not easy for me to recognize the brand it is meant to be associated with.

IMHO, it is a bunch of bullshit.

By the way, this is not news. It is at least three years old.