Thread: caliber decision help

Basic Member

caliber decision help

I want to buy a bolt gun preferably a Savage and need to decide if I want 223 or 6.5 creedmoor. It will only be for target shooting and club matches from 100 to 300 yds. Which would you guys recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    I want to buy a bolt gun preferably a Savage and need to decide if I want 223 or 6.5 creedmoor. It will only be for target shooting and club matches from 100 to 300 yds. Which would you guys recommend ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by williamjwolfjr View Post
    Both are great calibers for what your stated use is. I shoot several calibers and have guzzled the 6.5 CM kook aide. I reload so cost is not a factor. I always think what if I want to hunt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by williamjwolfjr View Post
    Both are great calibers for what your stated use is. I shoot several calibers and have guzzled the 6.5 CM kook aide. I reload so cost is not a factor. I always think what if I want to hunt.

I reload also I am currently reloading for 223, 300 savage, shotgun and pistols. But a set of dies for 6.5 isn't that much cost.

IMO, go with the 6.5 Creed and you will have the best of both worlds... After you start hitting at 300 you're going to want to "stretch it further" ( I know I did). Started with the 22-250 shooting prairie dogs out to 300... then 400. Decided I wanted to see how far I could actually hit something... the answer so far is 935 yards... I built a .260 Rem for that purpose. You can shoot a bullet weight from like 95 grains all the way up to 143 grains.

If you put a muzzle brake on the 6.5 it will feel about the same as the .223....

Just my .02

I would go 223 if only shooting that distance. It will save you money on ammo and is better to shoot on your body. Not that 6.5 is crazy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ditto what KTM said. For those distances the benefits of the 6.5 Creedmoor are pretty much wasted whereas the .223 was tailor made for those distances.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    what kind of accuracy can be expected out of the 223 savage 12 fv

what kind of accuracy can be expected out of the 223 savage 12 fv
    1 MOA down to about 1/2 MOA maybe a little better since you hand load. The Stock is the weak link... If you put a Boyds or Bobby Hart on it, then you can wind up with a 10 shot ragged hole... My Brother has the 22-250 FV.

Basic Member
    I load for both calibers and have had good results with both. I have two 6.5 Creedmoors now.
    The 6.5mm Creedmoor rifles are now at the top of my accuracy tables.
    The .223 isn't far behind.
    I like the performance of my 12 LRP in 6.5mm CM so much that I shoot it all the time now. I actually bought a 10T-SR in 6.5mm CM from Cabela's just to take some of the cycles off the 12 LRP and it shoots almost as well.
    The 12 FV from Cabela's in .223 averages about 0.080 larger groups than the 12 LRP 6.5mm CM and about 0.040 larger than the 10 T-SR 6.5mm CM based upon my recorded results. The stock on the 12 FV is a bit of a limitation but it still shoots very well. A more rigid, alumimum-bedded Bell & Carlson replacement stock (like a Medalist) would probably improve it a bit.

I think it's your choice.

Basic Member
    It's a Savage...start with the .223 and rebarrel when you get the urge to hit at 1000. And long range shooting with a .223 is more challenging in the wind. I have 2 of them and changed one to a 1:7 twist Wylde so I could shoot heavy pills. The other is stock and I cut the barrel down to 20" to save some weight. It shoots cheap 69gr factory ammo into 1/2" all day long.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    It's a Savage...start with the .223 and rebarrel when you get the urge to hit at 1000. And long range shooting with a .223 is more challenging in the wind. I have 2 of them and changed one to a 1:7 twist Wylde so I could shoot heavy pills. The other is stock and I cut the barrel down to 20" to save some weight. It shoots cheap 69gr factory ammo into 1/2" all day long.
    what would be realistic accuracy at 300 yds with the 223 ?

Basic Member
    what would be realistic accuracy at 300 yds with the 223 ?
    I have consistently hit 5" plates at 500 yards with the stock barrel and 69gr TMKs. I would agree that 1/2" MOA would be a realistic target with the right load, and maybe a solid stock.

This is before I cut down the barrel. It's in a B&C stock with a 12x SWFA scope.

Attachment 5395

Basic Member
    Don't know about the 12FV, but my Axis HB in .223 shoots under MOA at 300yds. My last 16 round group shot at 2.9" with a 5-10mph variable wind. That same day my 200yd, 6 round group was 1.7" (vertical it was only .8"). It has the cheap Bushnell scope it came with but I did put a Boyd's stock on it. Makes it much prettier and a bit heavier.

Bad part is it was shooting much better groups that day than my 12BVSS in .308 (I was having a bad day with it ).

I got the .223 originally just for cost. Cases I can pick up off the range. Bullets are relatively inexpensive. I have found the 69gn SMK's to be the best, even if they are a bit more expensive.

But, if you ever think you will go to 1000yd then get the 6.5CM.

I bought the 12BVSS because I wanted to shoot at longer ranges (the range I shoot at is a 1000yd).

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I would have to drive 4.5 hours each way to get to a range over 300yds. So for the very most part 300yds is it. Savage axis HB would be heavy barrel right ?

Basic Member
    If it were me I'd go with the 223 with a 1/8 twist and with a heavy contour barrel. Reason is while the 6.5 is a great and accurate caliber, you say 300 is your furthest distance and the Creedmor is not even getting started at 300. Then there's the cost to shoot.. 223R has great barrel life too for a small caliber. You you can do 3 times more practicing with good bullets for the same $ using a 223R. In a 223 a 1/9 twist will shoot the 68-70 gr bullets great, but might not stabilize the 75 and up so well. a 1/8 will let you shoot the great 77's and not over reving the lighter thin skinned varmint bullets like a 1/7 could if pushed too fast..
    6.5's are great, but to me, unless you're into the real long range stuff not required to shoot bugholes. My old M70HV 223R shoots Hornady 68's into the low teens if I don't screw it up.

Basic Member
    For punching paper out to 300yd and a bit beyond the .223 makes a lot more sense. Cheaper all around and more than capable. And yes gthe HB is heavy barrel. Walmart did a run of the Axis II XP in camo with heavy barrels. I snatched one up when I saw it in .223 (a lot of them were also done in .22-250 and 6.5CM).

The Axis has 1:9 twist which is great for the 69gn Matchking bullets.

I think you'll be happy with either of the calibers so it is really what you want to do.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    i recently pick up a Savage 223 LRPV in a 7 twist, also have a 223 12BVSS in a 223 9 twist, at first i was not too excited with the 7 twist till i got some 80 SMK's they were great, then i went with Berger 80.5's thinks got scary with the Bergers, if you are set up in the right rest ect and don't get to excited when you start shooting in the 2's and my best is a .155. i have so much confidence in this rifle and load. i put it back in the safe for serious shoots. we just got a snow storm here in NEPA, can't wait to see what it will do out at 3 4 and 500yds, optics is a new Athlon midas Tac 6x24x50, i want to add if anyone thinking that this FFP scope won't work for target shooting, the new Midas Tac has a dot and it works excellent for paper shooting. probably one of my top optics, clarity is right on par with the Sightrons, i have 3 of them. my next scope may be another Midas Tac. it's that nice

chet
    ps i also have a 6.5 credmoor in a 10T with a bell & carlson 2997 stock with a new criterion 8t barrel. shoots under an 1 inch at 300 when i do my part. optics is a Sightron 8x32x56

This is a nice thread. I have been in the same boat. I wanted 6.5 Creedmoor but I can put 2-3 times the rounds per $$ down range with .223 and in my region the closest ranges beyond 200yds are 3-5 hours away, so I would probably only be going to real long range locations a few times a year. I want the ability to shoot reliably at those ranges and possibly try hunting so I am leaning heavily towards 6.5.