Thread: Savage 10 GRS issues

Basic Member

Savage 10 GRS issues

Hi all,

Just got a new 10 GRS model, and after some initial 100 shoots, I've noticed some scratches in all types of Brass I'm using, from factory ammo to hand loads. Also, when the rifle gets hot, it is really hard to chamber a new cartridge.

I could not test the accuracy yet, since I found out that the rail came lose after some shots, I had to remove the bolts, clean them and use thread locker.

I inspected the chamber an found some marks inside, that are compatible with the scratches I see in the brass. The scratches in the brass are deep enough so you can fell them with your nail, I have 2 other Savages and never had this issue before.

I spoke to Savage and they told me to send the rifle to them, but I have to pay the shipping. UPS charges about 200 with proper insurance. I'm kind of disappointed that I have to pay for something that seems to be a manufacturing issue.

Any ideas?

Attached are the pictures from the barrel and brass.

Basic Member
    Well rather than pay $200 in shipping I would consider a gunsmith willing to do it for less.

But I'm wondering why you shoot 100rds through it without testing accuracy. Maybe I read it out or context, but shooting w/o group measuring first seems a waste of ammo.

I sent my Savage into Bass Pro when I had an issue w/firing pin not engaging. They sent it back to Savage for me; granted it may have been a warranty or service that Bass Pro and not all retailers/ffls offer.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Seems absurd you have to pay to get it fixed. Where did you buy it from...maybe go through them? It's $200 just to send the action in??? Pack it well and don't insure it.

Basic Member
    I ship guns often and insure them. You are getting robbed at 200 bucks. I don't think I spend more than 40.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by micky_blue View Post
    I ship guns often and insure them. You are getting robbed at 200 bucks. I don't think I spend more than 40.
    Ditto, I don't think I've ever spent more than $30-40 to ship a long gun in the lower 48.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Don't know who you spoke with at Savage, but I'd send them that picture and they should send you a call tag with prepaid shipping on them.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I shipped USPS before. Usually a 1/10 of ups.... They are far too expensive for the average Joe to ship any item with

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Don't know who you spoke with at Savage, but I'd send them that picture and they should send you a call tag with prepaid shipping on them.
    I spoke to their warranty department. They told me they would not pay the shipping. I opened a case in their support site, and attached both pictures. Being ignored so far.

I really don't understand why do I need to pay for ANY shipping if it is a manufacturing problem. Looks like I have to pay for their mistake.

Probably the last time I get anything from Savage.