Thread: Stevens 200 sa

Basic Member

Stevens 200 sa

Hey folks I’ve got a Stevens 200 sa chambered in 22-250.
    I want to rebarrel the action with a 7mm08 barrel.
    Can someone give me the basics or point me in the
    direction of a post that tells me how I am to get the
    proper parts.? Please.

Watch as many youtube videos of Savage barrel swaps as you can.

Buy Barrel and Headspace Gauges. Find and buy a 308 magazine. Remove barrel and magazine. Install Barrel using gauges. Install new magazine. Buy Ammo. Shoot.

Ask as many questions as you can.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Will any 7-08 barrel fit my Stevens.

The YouTube video done by Vaughn Precision is a very good video IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81F8oMso6dk

Quote Originally Posted by jraney View Post
    Will any 7-08 barrel fit my Stevens.
    A Stevens 200 in 22-250 is going to be a small shank (which is the most common) short action, and the bolt is going to have a .470 bolt face (also most common) . The action is the same dimensions as a Savage model 10 series and axis barrels will also fit.
    There are a fairly wide variety of short action calibers that will spin right in and work no problem. Just make sure if ordering a short action caliber barrel its for a small shank Savage and it will fit.
    Bolt head will fit any caliber based on .308 family of cartridges and several others. You should be good to go with your existing magazine as well.
    As a tip, make darn sure there's no screw in the front scope mount hole and also clean the heck out of the action threads after removing the factory barrel. It'll make things much easier later.
    I'd recommend a barrel nut wrench, an action wrench, and a set of barrel blocks (to go in your vise) as well as go and no go headspace gauges in addition to your barrel. It wouldn't hurt to use some Kroil on the nut in advance and a brass brush and some cleaner/lubricant to clean the threads after removal before reinstall. It's been done with less, but any job gets better results and is easier with the right tools.

My .02 on your choice of caliber. I'd do a .308 just for ease of obtaining ammo and components, the fact that the .30 is so versatile and if you throw the "book" out the window and shoot em side by side, there aint a hill of beans worth of difference between the 7-08 and the .308 in recoil or performance at sane hunting distances. H4895 even adds additional elements of versatility. That's nothing more than my personal opinion on the 7-08 based on my experiences, your mileage may vary.
    Watch and read several videos / articles / instructions before beginning.

Good luck, and don't blame us for a new addiction LOL
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Haha big honkin Jeep thanks for the info. That’s exactly what I was lookin for. Also this isn’t a new addiction. Just one of a few that all seem to take more money than they give back. Also thanks for the opinion on the caliber. I’ve never shot the 7mm08 or a 308. I just need something with more weight for deer hunting. Not to mention anything else I may wanna hunt. I’ll definitely look into the both of them a little more.

Basic Member
    The 7mm.08 is a winner in any gun !!!

Basic Member
    Well I ordered the 7mm08 barrel today. Anybody have any recommendations for a good stock. Preferably something not real expensive but better than the factory stock ?

Depends what you mean by "better". I know the internet is full of those who complain about stock flex and a million other issues that at least in my experience are imaginary. I have found the old "dual pillar bedded" factory synthetics (which I assume is on your rifle) to be quite useful and functional. Yes if you push with some force you can push the barrel channel of the stock against the barrel but I have found that under real world conditions like hunting or shooting from a bench that they do not make contact.
    The only one I've owned that I ever felt might have a problem with was a 110FP law enforcement rifle in 25-06 with a heavy barrel and very little clearance to the barrel channel, and then most likely if used with a bi pod where the barrel might gain leverage.
    There are a whole lot of the factory synthetics that shoot very well and they can be further improved simply with an epoxy bedding job especially at the recoil lug. Paint is not out of the question either if you dont like the color and other additions such as cheek risers are pretty easy projects too. I guess I like the factory stocks because I've found them to be functional for their intended purpose, rugged, and great projects should you decide to make improvements.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Hey thanks BHJ. By better I meant stiffer. The barrel I ordered is a light varmint contour so it will probably fill the barrel channel all the way up. I plan to modify the stock I have until I can afford to buy a new one that is rock solid at every occasion. It’s just something I’ve wanted. Just not sure where to go to get it. Haha I know what I’m asking for won’t be cheap but who will have the best price. ?

Basic Member
    Boyds has good laminated stocks that aren't to expensive,
    Stocky's stocks has a wide variety of stocks along with a wide variety of prices.
    There is no end to it LOL
    Jack

Basic Member
    Thank ya