Thread: MDL 116 trigger assembly?

Basic Member

MDL 116 trigger assembly?

How do I remove the (accutrigger) trigger assembly from the action? It appears there is just one pin to remove. Is the spring around that pin any trouble to get back right? I'm rebarreling my rifle and need to remove it so I can use an action wrench to hold so I can torque the barrel nut.

Thanks, Justin

Basic Member
    Why do you need to remove it to use an action wrench which goes on the front of the receiver? Bolt it to the rear and you will twist the hell out of it. To answer your question yes it’s simple to get that spring back in on the pin, just needs a shove from a punch or the like to fold it in far enough for the trigger pin to get through the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    Why do you need to remove it to use an action wrench which goes on the front of the receiver? Bolt it to the rear and you will twist the hell out of it. To answer your question yes it’s simple to get that spring back in on the pin, just needs a shove from a punch or the like to fold it in far enough for the trigger pin to get through the hole.
    What he said!

You put an action wrench on the rear bridge of an action when pulling a barrel and you'll end up with a pretzel.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Basic Member
    That’s not an action wrench those are both barrel nut wrenches. One for the new style smooth nuts and the other for the more favorable “splined” nuts. Click the following link to a forum sponsor and scroll down to NSS Action Wrench. That’s what you want, or a barrel vice if that’s more your style. Either will work well when used properly. There’s varying options of both tools but I will recommend the NSS product and James Kessler if you are looking for suggestions. My apologies if I’m not understanding your intentions, just don’t want to see you twist your action all up.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/tools/nss-tools/
    Last edited by Maztech89; 11-12-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Justin, The pretzel comment from Jim is telling you that you are embarking on a adventure that could have you throwing your Savage in the trash. Before you do anything watch some Youtube videos until you are sure of every step. If you can get someone experienced to help you. You would not be the first person who has had to trash an action by applying torque in the wrong location.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I understand the wrench was for smooth barrel nuts. The plan was to remove the trigger and slide the wrench to the front of the action, up near the barrel nut, this way the action can't be tweaked. Wouldn't that be the same as using the NSS action wrench? I've seen a couple videos on youtube where it was used this way.

Thanks, Justin

Basic Member
    It's all done and shooting, the smooth nut barrel wrench worked fine, all I needed it for was to hold while the barrel nut was being torqued.

Thanks for the help.