Thread: scope zeroing

Basic Member

scope zeroing

Today I was out testing some ammo and there was a guy a few slots down struggling to zero his new scope. He was getting upset as he had already used one box and was almost halfway through the second and still not on paper. I politely asked him if he would like any help and he said SURE. I explained to him that I have two rifles that share the same scope since my wife won't buy me a second and that I swap them out on a regular basis. I said it usually only takes me 1 shot to get on paper and a second to confirm my adjustments. Not believing me he wanted me to show him. So I had him remove the bolt and look down the bore and center it on the orange bullseye sticker. Then while keeping the rifle still adjust the scope till the reticle was also on the circle. Then told him to fire a shot. Low and behold he was in the lower right corner of the target. Then I told him to keep the rifle sighted on the bullseye and without moving the rifle to move the reticle till it was on the bullet hole he just shot. The second bullet landed about 1" from the center of the bull. He was about as happy as anyone I ever saw. Even wanted to pay me.. Told him no. Just happy to help.

Thanks for passing it on. Too many folks have to grow up without decent mentors.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I've heard of this method before but haven't done both of those. Typically I'll take a shot at 25yds, make an adjustment, and it'll be pretty close at this point. Then I'll push the target out to 100yds and fine tune it. The only time I'll do the take a shot and then adjust while looking through the scope is when I'm sighting in my slug gun; each shot round is approximately $3 each. For those, getting it sighted in as fast as I can equals $$$.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    PaddyD it was very nice of you to help the guy out. Its very rewarding to help out a fellow shooter

Basic Member
    Very good post, you first bore sighted the gun by looking thru the bore and aligning it on the orange sticker, then without moving the gun, aligned the scope on it.
    Another way is to use an empty case (with the primer removed), and placed in the chamber first.
    That acts like an abature in an iron site and makes the big barrel hole smaller.
    As you have shown, you can (almost) zero a gun without firing it by carefully bore sighting.

As for the second shot, what you did is use an old method known as (the one shot zero).
    It would behoove anybody interested in shooting, and especially at long range to become proficient with this method.
    (learn to use the dial), and the type of scope you have becomes less important.

Lets say you shoot at a small rock or a milk jug at 800 yds. You enter all the data into your favorite device, and arrive at the proper amount of scope adjustment necessary for the shot.
    But your first shot hits low and about a foot to the right, and frankly it wouldn't matter if it was 4 ft.
    What you now have is better than any device you could buy regardless of cost, that being a sighter shot hit.
    Hold the gun very steady on the aiming point (the jug), or the animal, and then turn the dials till the reticle is aligned on where the bullet hit. Be carefull when looking into the scope while dialing and keeping your mind right as to direction the reticle is moving.
    Remember that in order for the shot to go higher, the reticle must go down, and when you dial up it does. Same with left and right.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Very good post, you first bore sighted the gun by looking thru the bore and aligning it on the orange sticker, then without moving the gun, aligned the scope on it.
    Another way is to use an empty case (with the primer removed), and placed in the chamber first.
    That acts like an abature in an iron site and makes the big barrel hole smaller.
    As you have shown, you can (almost) zero a gun without firing it by carefully bore sighting.

As for the second shot, what you did is use an old method known as (the one shot zero).
    It would behoove anybody interested in shooting, and especially at long range to become proficient with this method.
    (learn to use the dial), and the type of scope you have becomes less important.

Lets say you shoot at a small rock or a milk jug at 800 yds. You enter all the data into your favorite device, and arrive at the proper amount of scope adjustment necessary for the shot.
    But your first shot hits low and about a foot to the right, and frankly it wouldn't matter if it was 4 ft.
    What you now have is better than any device you could buy regardless of cost, that being a sighter shot hit.
    Hold the gun very steady on the aiming point (the jug), or the animal, and then turn the dials till the reticle is aligned on where the bullet hit. Be carefull when looking into the scope while dialing and keeping your mind right as to direction the reticle is moving.
    Remember that in order for the shot to go higher, the reticle must go down, and when you dial up it does. Same with left and right.
    GREAT idea with the deprimed case! I will have to try that next time I swap a scope out. Never thought of doing it before.