Thread: Savage 99 Factory Pre-drilled Scope Mount Holes

Basic Member

Savage 99 Factory Pre-drilled Scope Mount Holes

Hello To All: Read somewhere once a while back, possibly here on this forum that at one point in the manufacture of Savage 99's, that Savage was predrilling scope mount holes on the receivers of certain models. If I recall it was somewhere possibly in the late 40's (1949) or early 50's. If I recall, there was mention of the moving of the caliber designation from one spot to another so any scope mounts wouldn't cover the caliber stamping. Anybody know approximately the time frame this occured? Serial number range and model. Also courious about the caliber stamping move. Looking at a few 99's that have either a scope and mounts mounted or have scope mounts only. Any info much appreciated. Thank you.

Basic Member
    In the mid-fifties, concurrent with the introduction of the .308. It's not necessarily related to model, because it was a factory order option. It's not the caliber, it's the "Savage" and "Model 99" in two lines.

Caliber has always been stamped on the barrel. The stamping that was moved, as Model24 pointed out, was the Make/Model stamping which was on top of the front receiver bridge. Savage moved it to the left side of the front receiver bridge when they started drilling and tapping.

Here's an example of the earlier (non-tapped) with the make/model info on top of the receiver bridge.

Here's an example of a later (factory tapped) with the make/model info on the side of the receiver bridge.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. Have observed a lot of pictures of 99's looking as much as possible at the receiver and left side of barrel's. From what you've posted, yer spot on. Not to many 99's in my area (Northcentral Iowa) to get a lot of eye ball contact, so have to rely on what I can read and pictures. Same goes for the Ol' Rem 81-pretty scarce, not a lot of hunting done with either one. I have to buy some of these rare in area firearms off of Gun Broker and sometimes the pictures if not detailed or clear, makes it a guessing game. That's when I make good use of the message system GB has and request a phone conversation with the seller requesting picture or better one and/or more information. Once in a while a seller doesn't want to message info I request and/or won't give a phone number I can call. Figure those guys have something to hide on condition, don't get my bid. Looking right now for 99 in 250/3000 good shape as possible, good bore, as original as possible.

So if you see the 'SAVAGE' and 'Model 99' on the left side of receiver, it would indicate it is factory tapped for scope mounts-if stamping is absent on side and on top, if rifle has mounts installed or there are plug screws, the rifle has been tapped (non factory), ie. not original. That's my take. Thank you for the replies.