Thread: On a more serious not,,diabitic

Team Savage

On a more serious not,,diabitic

I am a type two diabitic and my feet get cold easy..
    I am wondering if there is anyone else on here
    with the same issue..Today it was 34 and windy.
    Put my stand up and sat there for about 45 min,
    wearing my muck boots and my feet started getting
    cold..I hate to spend more money on more boots,etc.
    Anyone have any answers..Thank you..John

Basic Member
    I am not diabitic and live in Arizona so my response may be out of line. I have nuroposie ( spell?) caused be agent orange exposure, I have problems with my feet, pain, cramps, etc. I was given a medication by my va doctor, that stops the pain, and cramping this stuff can be obtained at any drugstore with out a script Zostrix. May help.

Basic Member
    I am diabetic and do get cold feet easily a buddy heater in my blind is a must !!!

Good insulating socks help. Neuropathy is a different thing. That sucks even more than poor circulation caused by CHF or Diabetes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The best boots as for keeping feet warm were made for the military and are known as (Mickey Mouse) boots.
    Probably originally a Korean war creation, made of rubber and well insulated.
    They are not good for use by those doing much walking, but are the very best for those who sit mostly.
    Still popular among many PA hunters who sit for long periods of time on cold days.
    They come in two versions, one being black and the other white, the white ones are the best as for warmth.
    They can be purchased both new or used in some Army/Navy stores such as Bobs Army/Navy
    in Clearfield PA. 814 765 4652. Expect to spend about $100 for new white ones.

I've seen those "electric" or battery operated heated socks online before. May help but never used 'em or tried them.

Basic Member
    I have seen many hunters and ice fisher men use the mickey mouse boots !!!

Team Savage
    my feet even get cold in my white mickeys..was looking at those over boot things..like
    a boot that goes over your boots..lol

Basic Member
    We are running out of ideas for you, my buddy heater saved me !!!

Basic Member
    How about one of those heater body suits ??

Basic Member
    Those micky mouse boots didn’t work for crap for me when I went to Korea for cold weather training from schofield barracks Hawaii. My feet froze all the time. Get yourself a pair a winter boots rated for 40 below. Am type II myself now. Not for walking around but in a stand should keep your feet toast. Cheaper solution are the electric heated socks that was posted above.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    LaCrosse Ice King boots

Wigwam merino wool socks

Don't let your feet get your socks and boot liners damp with sweat then sit for a long time.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    The best boots as for keeping feet warm were made for the military and are known as (Mickey Mouse) boots.
    We called them bunny boots but have no idea where that term came from.

Like some follow up comments posted below, I used silk socks as a liner under the cold weather issue cotton socks during my remote tour in central AK.

Am a SmartWool fan and wear them everday, work, play, or dress.

Often times your choice of boots and socks can do more to make your feet cold than the weather itself. Three things lead to cold feet - moisture, insufficient or too much insulation, and too tight a fit restricting circulation.

Layering is the biggest thing, but don't make the mistake of going overboard.

Get yourself a good pair of moisture wicking liner socks. These are typically a synthetic fabric and are for getting the moisture away from your foot as quickly as possible. Dry feet are happy feet.

Next up you want a good lightweight wool sock - I prefer Merino wool as it's not itchy/scratchy like the wool we're typically used to. Just make sure whatever you get is 80%+ wool as a great deal of so-called wool socks these days only have 20-40%.

On top of that you'll probably want a good heavy wool sock for additional warmth. This is the "optional" layer for many, but in your case you will likely want it. This is the layer you will not want to put on until you get to your stand if you have a good bit of walking to do. Again check for actual wool content of the socks.

Next you'll want to make sure your boots aren't too tight with these three layers of socks on which can result in restricted circulation. Remember, it's the air trapped in insulation that gives it it's ability to insulate and you want some wiggle room inside your boot to hold some air. Do go overly crazy on the insulation either - too much and your feet will get hot and sweat to much resulting in trapped moisture that will cause your feet to get cold. For active use I like 400 grams of Thinsulate, and for sitting I like 800 to 1,200 grams depending on how cold we're talking and how long I'm going to be sitting. Again, the key is to not over due it as you have to find that happy medium.

Also, the biggest source of heat loss in your feet is through the soles so double or even triple up a good foam insole to provide some additional insulation. One cheap option is to make some insoles out of 1/4" cork material to put under your standard insole. I also recommend putting some kind of pad on the footrest of your treestand (a piece of 1/2" thick rubber horse mat from TSC works very well and is quiet) so your boots aren't on bare metal and exposed to the wind coming up through it.

Last but not least, keep your core plenty warm. If your core temperature drops your body will naturally reduce circulation to your extremities and redirect it to your organs in an attempt to raise it. Again, layering is the key and don't fully layer up until you're at your stand because you don't want to be all all hot/sweaty when you get there and sit down.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Good stuff Jim.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    LaCrosse Ice King boots

Wigwam merino wool socks

Don't let your feet get your socks and boot liners damp with sweat then sit for a long time.
    ^^^ That right there is a big part of the cold feet issue.

Basic Member
    Well that just about covers everything, now its time to go hunting and have fun !!!!

Same issue! Years ago, I bought some "heavily" insulated "booty" covers. When I got to my stand, I left my walking boots on. I slipped these insulated booty covers over my walking boots, and put two pocket warmers in each booty, between my walking boot, and the booty cover.

Result, sometimes my feet got so hot, I had to open the booty covers to let a little cool air in! I also wore good sub zero socks, I forget where they came from.

Bottom line, COLD feet make my hunting trips miserable. I HATE cold feet, the above worked. I don't have a clue if the "Booty Covers" are still available. I used them for years, and unless my kids had grabbed them, I stil l have em!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Team Savage
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bootblanket1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	5399these are what i'm talking about,boot blankets made for sitting on stand..not for walking

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bootblanket1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	5399these are what i'm talking about,boot blankets made for sitting on stand..not for walking
    This is almost exactly what I had, both only weigh Oz's. And they worked good for me, esp with the pocket warmers.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]