Quote Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I thought maybe OP meant Old Person.
Yes I am using a hornady modified brass. I am actually measuring OAL with a ogive compairer .
I have several test load made up and will give them a go next week.
I was surprised at the group size, knowing that I would have to work up to an accurate load, I can't fault the barrel, the accuracy is great. With my 1 in 9 savage heavy it shot 3/4 moa out of the box, then worked down from there. The 223 remington savage seems more forgiving than the Criterion barrel. I am hoping, and I will work for a one moa at 500 yards consistanly. The savage would do that at 300 yards but reaching out to 500 600 yards with the 68 grain was just far.
OP= Old Phart in the nearby town of Pflugerville, TX.

I find my Savage barreled 223 has a deeper throat than my Criterion barrel, but only by a few thousandths and Jumping the V-max's seems to work best. The 53 grain V-Max shoots well enough out of both to make little sport of 4 inch clays at 500 yds. Last time we were out at the distance shooting range, son popped 9 out of 10 with his 12FV 223 and a Vortex Crossfire II scope. He has shot several 5 shot groups in the zero's at 100 yds with that inexpensive load. Oh, to have young eyes again!