Thread: bell and carlson question

bell and carlson question

Does anyone here have any personal experience with a Bell & Carlson sported stock with the full length bedding block? I'm looking to ditch the tupperwear on a 110 blind mag 257 Roberts. leaning towards that one or a boyds

Basic Member
    I have a pair of varmit models for a Savage and Howa action. I LOVE both of them. Actions fit perfect and the quality has been excellent. I have never handled a HS or McMillian but can't imagine what they offer for 2-3 times the price of a B&C. The Boyd's are also fine, but I wish they came with pillars already installed, and the default recoil pad is crap.

Basic Member
    I have the B&C medalist sporter with the full block. Very nice lines for a hunting rifle (mine is tan with black webbing). Shoots great 6.5/257 Bob Ackley 40 deg Shaw sporter contour.
    110 long action blind magazine.
    Very good hunting stock.
    Agreeing with celltech on the Boyd's wish they came with pillars. I have one Boyd's thumbhole feather weight which I bedded & pillared. Again very accurate but featherweight is misleading not exceptionally light (heavier than tupperware).
    Also thumbhole on a savage/stevens makes operating the safety very awkward. You must remove your hand from the grip to release the safety. Extra motion in tight quarter hunting situations. Thumbhole would be ok with Remington safety but I would not build another Savage hunting rifle with one.

thanks guys, I own 2 Mcmillans, one on a palma rifle and one on a x course rifle, awesome stocks but $600 + 6 month wait isn't what I'm looking for my whitetail gun. my first 257 roberts is actually fine in the original stock, its a 1/2-3/4 minuet gun all day long, but my son shot his first deer with it so somehow its not really my gun anymore!! so a buddy had its twin and i talked him out of it. however this one is not behaving properly hence the search for a new stock.

Basic Member
    After my sons left home they "inherited" their favorites also. Now I am automatically presenting my grand kids with "inheritance builds" as they reach hunting age. Lol
    But it keeps me from having to upgrade my gunsafe!

Btw the 6.5 Bob in my b&c medalist shoots like you are asking. You may end up changing out barrels to make your new Roberts shoot like the other one.
    Good luck with your choice.
    Randy

Basic Member
    Switched a Remington 700 .22-250 tupperware stock out with a B&C Medalist with the aluminum block and improved the accuracy 0.1 to 0.15 inches at 100 yards.
    I decided to grind a bit off the stock around the side safety to eliminate just bit of binding but, other than that, the Remington action dropped right in.

After I found that my old Savage 10 FP factory stock was just a but short for me, I switched out the stock with an adjustable B&C stock with a full aluminum block and also improved my accuracy.
    The FP action dropped in perfectly.

I'm a believer in B&C stocks.