Thread: Bolt Jeweling Questions

Bolt Jeweling Questions

I have all the equipment required at my disposal but there isn't a lot of info out there on doing savage bolts. Can someone machine a mandrel to thread into the back of the bolt to hold it in the indexer? also as far as polishing before jeweling, Is it alright to polish the bolt sleeve with 600 grit beforehand? I only intend to jewel the bolt sleeve and have no intentions of touching the lugs.

Basic Member
    What kind of equipment do you have at your disposal?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

vertical mill, indexer, lathe for making tools, only thing I'm missing as far as I can tell is the abrasive rods which I can easily purchase.

Basic Member
    What kind of indexer? spindex that uses 5c collets? Rotary table with a chuck?

yes it is a 5c spindex but no rotary table, got a milling vice on it atm. Why would a rotary table be required? Most of these are done with a drill press and an indexer, and really u would only need a table that would move on an x or y axis as both are not needed. I'm confident that I can do it with what I have I just need to know if how I intend to hold it in the indexer is alright on savage bolts and if it's ok to polish the bolt sleeve with 600 grit sandpaper using a shoeshine motion without damaging the performance of the bolt. I know it's done with R700s but savage bolts are quite different and this is my first savage centerfire project.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CrLeHRbPSrehBmUn8

The mill pictured is in the process of being converted to cnc, the steppers all run and it accepts simple inputs to the x, y and z axes and zeros however I still cannot run programs on the mill yet.

Basic Member
    I use a 5c spindex with a 45/64 collet to flute bolts. If you don't have a collet that size, turn up a mandrel to thread in the bolt body (1/2-28) with a shank size that you have a collet for.The bolt bodies are case hardened about .020" deep, and can be polished up rather easily, especially on a lathe. Start with 400 grit and work your way up. All that should be easy, your hardest part is figuring out how many degrees of index and how much advance.

Alright thank you very much for the advice, not sure if that's a size I have or not, had quite a few collets come with it. I'll check next time I'm over at the shop. Won't be that big of a deal to make what I need if I don't. It will probably take a while to get to as it's just one of several things I intend to do to the rifle while I wait till it's warm enough to shoot again. However I'll update my threads with pics as I finish each one.