Thread: Truck Gun?

Truck Gun?

A lot of folks have different ideas and needs in a "truck gun". Some like handguns, some shotguns, and some rifles.
    I used to keep an 8" .357 mag that I called my pocket rifle in my glove compartment in the big honkin jeep but then I realized I seldom leave without a side arm and had a whole truck to carry in and could use whatever I wanted. I have a nice little model 11 cut down into a carbine that's great for things that need shooting while out kicking around and fits well in the truck.
    So what if anything are you guys using as a vehicle carry?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Used to have a truck (four) but now drive a SUV.

27" barrel Finnish M39 in 7.62 x 54R.

Sidearm? Maybe, maybe not. You pays your money and takes your chances.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    My "truck" (do all daily driver) is a 1987 Jeep YJ Wrangler. There isn't much room for a long gun in that thing. Last year I mainly used an AR pistol in 6.5 Grendel. The 12 inch barrel on that thing gives it about the equivalent energy and trajectory of a 30-30 carbine. The year before that was an AR10 with a 16" barrel. This year will probably be a Howa mini-action in a Boyd's AT-One stock in 6.5 Grendel and a 16" barrel.

Basic Member
    My "truck" is a car and there is a shield in the cab and an AR15 in the trunk. If the purpose is to end an event why have a bolt action?

Basic Member
    I recently sold my 2006 Jeep due to cost of owning several vehicles and the fact that recently it only got used for a couple weeks a year.
    But it had a "Big Sky" ceiling mount gun rack which I attached to the roll bar with stainless hose clamps. I kept the rack, it will be used in my sons 4 door Wrangler.
    They are an excellent gun rack which hold 2 full length guns very securely, yet easily removed.
    My preference for most of year was a Savage 22 mag, and a Savage 223, both guns having detachable magazines which were kept in easy reach. During the bear and deer season they were replaced with a larger cartridge gun like an 06 which was only used when we went on a retrieve mission. I kept 3 large guns in cases in the rear cargo area with the seat removed of coarse, with the barrels between the driver and passenger seats.
    With the 22 mag and the 223, I could be pretty sure of a turkey every year, a few of the dumber grouse, and whatever predator I could get a shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    My "truck" is a car and there is a shield in the cab and an AR15 in the trunk. If the purpose is to end an event why have a bolt action?
    Touche:
    If the "purpose is to end an event" why have it in the trunk? In an "event" I'd think it better have a bolt rifle between the console and the seat than a SAW or a Ma deuce in the trunk. LOL
    On second thought a Ma deuce in the trunk would have it's own "COOL" factor.

I understand the difference in needs and kinda started this thread to explore those differences. I also understand sometimes with "professionals" policy gets in the way of what many might consider prudent for those in higher risk occupations/situations and they have to carry in the trunk which I find akin to an empty chamber. (freakin bureaucrats)
    Most of my civilian needs typically would be something like a varmint that needed removal on a moments notice that may be iffy at distance/ my skill level with a sidearm. Perfect for an easy handling 37" OAL bolt action carbine in .308.
    If there is a known or elevated threat then just as I did replacing the ".357 pocket rifle" then you simply step up the game to VLTOR, KVAR, Ultimak, Hogue, Magpul,and Vortex equipped 922R compliant, Liberal Freaker Outer loaded with soft points :) Well thats how we can do it down here in the south anyway, sorry all you residents of 2A restrictive jurisdictions
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 03-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Depends on the season. Pickup (hunting vehicle) AR15 for everything outside of our restrictive deer season and a 1911 all the time. I carry a Jimenez 25 in the console of my daily driver.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Touche:
    If the "purpose is to end an event" why have it in the trunk?
    With where I live I have to admit the thought of a deer rifle hanging out in the truck didn't cross my mind, only something for defensive purposes. I wish I could have the AR hanging out in the sedan, but there is simply no where to put it. There is always the pistol in the front, and another on my person. The AR is a SHTF response tool that I hope never leaves its cover...

Basic Member
    I guess my idea of a truck gun is different than others. Firstly, I always carry a sidearm, but that is not what I consider a "truck gun". Nor am I looking to "end an event". I consider a truck gun a utility tool, much like a jack, that is there when I need it for dispatching an animal, etc., or for just having fun on the spur of a moment. A "truck gun" is also a gun that I don't care if the stock gets beat up riding behind the seat, so it's not going to be my deer rifle. And since it is in a vehicle, and subject to theft because of that, it is not going to be something expensive...… ie, my truck gun is a Chinese SKS paratrooper model I paid about 40 dollars for.....

Basic Member

Truck Gun?

A variation on this: "boat gun."

I've convinced my brother in law that an AR pistol with a folding stock would be the best firearm for frequent trips to international waters in his 30-some-odd foot boat. It doesn't take up a whole lot of room so it can be stored in the vicinity of the captain's seat, and it has the kind of capacity and range that one might want for open waters.

In this case, it's much less a tool for dispatching wildlife (although it happens) than it is for defense of oneself and one's stuff.

What I don't know is what sort of precautions might need to be taken to protect the firearm from the harsh ocean environment.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Don't own a semi-auto rifle, and a $60 war-surplus rifle makes a good beater to keep in the trunk.

Basic Member

Truck Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    ...a $60 war-surplus rifle makes a good beater to keep in the trunk.
    ...and as a last resort, you can beat your target to death with it.

Source: my father’s old Mossberg 500 with a broken buttplate. The target in this case being a partridge. He always said the only fair way to hunt them is with an axe. He essentially proved it one day when he approached one on foot, pulled up and squeezed the trigger only to realize his shotgun had no shells in it.

Still got the bird.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

There you go. Do what it takes to get the job done and don't stop flying until all the pieces are at rest.

Through the years I've killed two woodchucks when they were found in the garden and I was without a gun. Not pretty, but I wasn't being sporting at the time.

And as a PS - Lately I EDC a S&W Shield, so it's in the vehicle when I am and not when I ain't. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    A variation on this: "boat gun."

In this case, it's much less a tool for dispatching wildlife (although it happens) than it is for defense of oneself and one's stuff.

What I don't know is what sort of precautions might need to be taken to protect the firearm from the harsh ocean environment.
    Black T or Green T finish from Birdsong is the cats pajamas. From what I understand it started life as a military submarine coating and is one of the most impervious finishes offered period. I have several family members that have had firearms done many years ago by Walter Birdsong before he passed that are still pristine. Last I heard his sons were still running the company. It's also very slick and can make internal parts glide like butter. From what I saw online I think a long gun runs about $250 https://black-t.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sled View Post
    I guess my idea of a truck gun is different than others. Firstly, I always carry a sidearm, but that is not what I consider a "truck gun". Nor am I looking to "end an event". I consider a truck gun a utility tool, much like a jack, that is there when I need it for dispatching an animal, etc., or for just having fun on the spur of a moment. A "truck gun" is also a gun that I don't care if the stock gets beat up riding behind the seat, so it's not going to be my deer rifle. And since it is in a vehicle, and subject to theft because of that, it is not going to be something expensive...… ie, my truck gun is a Chinese SKS paratrooper model I paid about 40 dollars for.....
    A bicycle lock through the action and around the seat pillar works wonders for keeping a long gun where it should be if it has to be left alone in a vehicle for an hour or so. Also their are lots of reasonably priced car safe/lock boxes ($20) available for handguns for those times that concealed carriers are required to disarm like going to the polls or post office.

Basic Member
    Handi Rifle single shot .270. (Just need a one-eyed dog to go with it).

Basic Member
    Don't flame me too badly - but my throw-about gun was a Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W. I just swapped it out for the same thing chambered in .45 ACP.
    They're just a fun gun to shoot!!

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    Don't flame me too badly - but my throw-about gun was a Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W. I just swapped it out for the same thing chambered in .45 ACP.
    They're just a fun gun to shoot!!
    No flames here, Cool been wondering about the new 10MMs just for giggles

Basic Member
    For me a truck gun is a short barreled rifle that is easy to maneuver and quick to get out the window for shooting hogs and coyotes but also occasionaly a snake, maybe a deer, etc. I prefer something inexpensive to shoot as well. A short light bolt gun with a low powered scope is ideal. Like a .223 with a 2-7x or 3-9x scope. Some of the little, light 7.62x39 bolt guns have my interest at the moment for a truck gun. Cheap to shoot and enough accuracy and power to thump a coyote or pig when riding around.

I also carry a handgun in my truck but I don't really refer to that as a truck gun. I keep a mid-sized 9mm in there usually.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
    For me a truck gun is a short barreled rifle that is easy to maneuver and quick to get out the window for shooting hogs and coyotes but also occasionaly a snake, maybe a deer, etc. I prefer something inexpensive to shoot as well. A short light bolt gun with a low powered scope is ideal. Like a .223 with a 2-7x or 3-9x scope. Some of the little, light 7.62x39 bolt guns have my interest at the moment for a truck gun. Cheap to shoot and enough accuracy and power to thump a coyote or pig when riding around.

I also carry a handgun in my truck but I don't really refer to that as a truck gun. I keep a mid-sized 9mm in there usually.
    Game laws in other states might not allow for shooting from a vehicle.
    In PA for example, it isn’t permitted without a handicap permit.
    The law there states that (after alighting from a vehicle a shooter must be 75’ from the traveled portion of a road before shooting.)
    It was implemented as an attempt to curb hunting from a slow moving vehicle.
    But you can walk along a road, or even hunt from the edge of a road so long as you don’t shoot across it.

0)

Basic Member
    Giant can of worms.

Hunting truck gun.
    Old savage 99 in 250 or 300 savage with rear peep site.
    Garand with 150 grain soft points
    110 bolt in 308

Truck gun for cya
    Sub 2000 in 9mm w glock 17 mags
    Mossberg 500 in 12 ga with 24in slugger barrel with 00 buck shot and some slugs
    AR 15

Way too many variables to say x is the one.
    You and you alone have to know what you need for your area.
    Hunting truck gun for Wyoming, will be different than for Iowa
    CYA gun for shopping will be different than for camping, different than for fireman dance, picinic ect

Best gun is one YOU are comfortable with in your possession, and comfortable shooting.
    Good luck and hope you never have to use one in a CYA moment
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !