Thread: PA hunting and ticks?

Team Savage

PA hunting and ticks?

Whats your thoughts on ticks this year? Almost every time I venture
    into the wild I pick up those little bastards..Maybe I will have to invest
    in a tree stand to stay out of my ground blind..Open to your ideas on this..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Whats your thoughts on ticks this year? Almost every time I venture
    into the wild I pick up those little bastards..Maybe I will have to invest
    in a tree stand to stay out of my ground blind..Open to your ideas on this..
    It has become a big issue, but you still would need to walk to your stand.
    I see some guys who are taping their pant bottoms to their boots with duck tape.
    Of coarse the animals are loaded with them also, best not put a dead one inside your suv.
    Places like Vermont with colder weather never had any, but now there showing up there also.
    Its only become an issue in the PA northern tier counties over about the last 20 years or so.

Last year up here (Southern Tier of NY) they were terrible. Even a trip to across the lawn to the garden and back would mean ticks on my legs. This year I'm seeing FAR fewer. I think they drowned.

I killed two deer last year. The one I took with a bow was loaded with ticks (and also keds/louse flies). The gun buck - from 200 ft different location but one month later - had none at all.

If you don't own cats there are good Permethrin products you can treat your clothing with. THE ADMIRAL won't let me being that in, but we did get a Herbal Armor spray that seems to work. Lemongrass/citronella, cedar, etc.

I don't spray my hunting clothing but I do "quarantine" everything when I come in from the woods and blast the inner layers with 15 minutes in a hot clothes drier.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I picked up a case of lime disease, 2 months back. What a killa. Antibiotics did take care of it but it was a ruff two weeks. glad I caught it right away.

I have since then learned about Sawyers permethrin spray. Spray down cloths and is good for a couple of washes.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
    I picked up a case of lime disease, 2 months back. What a killa. Antibiotics did take care of it but it was a ruff two weeks. glad I caught it right away.

I have since then learned about Sawyers permethrin spray. Spray down cloths and is good for a couple of washes.
    I just picked up some of that sawyers myself..

Sulfur?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Permethrin and Deet are your friends. Just watch carefully where you use it.

Friggin Deet ate the zippers off of my backpack tent after it was stored for a season and turned them into nothing but crumbly white powdered oxidation. I didn't know it until I was way back in the bush and tried to set it up.
    Yeah that sucked and was an expensive and hard lesson.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    From late diagnosis experience...any fever not during flu season, ask for a blood test, assuming you don’t have the convenience of a rash.

I don’t eat red meat like I used to but I don’t think I have an allergy. Some are allergic just to the smell of meat. Alpha gal levels can be tested.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lone-star-tick-alpha-gal-red-meat-allergy-2018-5/

Great tip on the Sawyer spray! Ordering now!

I usually see a couple during the summer groundhog hunting and maybe spring/fall turkey,nothing major. Both deer this year were free of ticks.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post

yes, permethrin works great but smells alittle odd. Not sure if deer pick that up or not lol

some places i hunt i have ticks all over, others not so much. Bow hunted all season and didnt have any on me but wasnt checking my clothes much. On my person i didnt have any. The other day just walking the trail in the pipeline thats cut, i had one get on me. No where near the woods. Go figure

its a big problem for certain. Last 10-15 yrs they exploded. One area we used to smallgame hunt, you walk 100 yrds thru a thicket and get a dozen on you

Team Savage
    i think it's a government thing..developed for insect warfare..

Agree on the Permethrin. Use at minimum 0.5% concentration. Permethrin is not strictly a repellent, as it will kill any ticks that decide to hang on. DEET does not kill them, only slightly deters them.
    We spray our hunting clothes with 0.5% Permethrin 1 week before spring Turkey season.

Annually, I also treat cotton balls with permethrin, stuff them into short pieces of cut ABS pipe, which I have scattered around my woodlot. The mice bring the permethrin treated cotton to their nests, and it kills ticks in their nest. Mice are a required vector in a ticks lifecycle, and usually are a tick's first blood meal. By killing the nymph ticks, the tick numbers in my own woodlot have been noticeably reduced since starting this.

Basic Member
    I assume I got vectored by mice. When the telephone pole in my backyard (woods) was replaced the ground vibrations had them scattering like lemmings to Lake Michigan. Laced cotton balls was wisdom imparted after the cocktail party.

Basic Member
    Do yourself a favor. Buy concentrated permethrin. Drop a cap on the rinse cycle of your clothing, socks and underwear too. Throw your hat in too. No more ticks or skeeters.