Thread: 25-300 wsm

25-300 wsm

What kind of velocity are yoy guys getting with 85 grain BT? Barrel life and recommended barrel maker? And where would I get dies?
    I have a new 300 wsm coming and I am on the fence for conversion to 243WSSM or 25-300 WSM. The standardness of the wssm does draw me to it. Just looking for some info on the 25-300WSM. And if anyone knows or has experience with the 243 wssm AI I would be interested in the answers to the same questions above.
    Thanks.

sjf

Re: 25-300 wsm

I put together a 25 wsm some time back, its an ok caliber but has some quirks. With mine I would get a load worked up, great accuracy and velocities, next time I would go out I would get pressure signs. RL25,RL22, H4831SC, H1000, VV165, VV170, RS Magnum.....used many powders. RETUMBO was by far the best I used. I killed the bull in my avatar with my 25 wsm, 115 partition worked great.

To get away from the pressure problems I ended up using loads that were not much faster than my 25-06. Barrel life is short. I used all 100 and 115 gr bullets. Using 85 grainers barrel life will be even shorter. Barrel was a pacnor with polygonal rifling. I since turned that rifle into a 223AI. If i do a 25 caliber wildcat again it will be the 257 AI.

PM Ed Bell......also read this:

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?... Wildcat Build
    Hard to go wrong with it! Wonderful wildcat!

okie2

it is still hard to beat the 25-06AI
    85 gr at 3920 fps

Basic Member
    did you ever build the 25-300 wsm ?

Ha ha! Now this is an old thread! No I never did the 25wsm. I went with a 28" Shilen 243 wssm. Great barrel and it popped some prairie dogs. Once the wssm brass dried up, I sold it all on gunbroker. But, just got a 6.5 wsm from XCaliber. Only ran few shots so far so it can't really give an opinion on it yet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Ha ha! Now this is an old thread! No I never did the 25wsm. I went with a 28" Shilen 243 wssm. Great barrel and it popped some prairie dogs. Once the wssm brass dried up, I sold it all on gunbroker. But, just got a 6.5 wsm from XCaliber. Only ran few shots so far so it can't really give an opinion on it yet.
    I ran 320 rounds thru mine and have an opinion.
    I wasted my money.