Thread: Removing ejector spring

Team Savage

Removing ejector spring

So, I keep reading that you should remove the ejector spring before setting headspace on a new barrel. And, to keep cases from flying out of the rifle at the bench, you should remove the ejector spring when shooting. OK, I can do that!

When shooting the gun with no ejector spring, do you put the pin back in without the spring or just leave the hole empty? I guess that hole would help you read pressure signs on the case head.

Merry Christmas!

Bill

Basic Member
    Just leave the hole empty

Or plug it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    If you've ever had to try to remove a Savage ejector that has been driven back into the bolt head, and bending the cross pin during an over pressure event, you would probably remove the ejector all together. A fellow shooter forgot to trim his brass and pinched a bullet on a hot load. Replaced a few parts, he did!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    "So, I keep reading that you should remove the ejector spring before setting headspace on a new barrel?"
    Never removed the pin when setting headspace. Not enough pressure to cause any problems. The extractor holds the case head against the bolt head and IF the ejector spring had enough strength to cause any problems, when extracted, the case would end up in the next county.
    Not much of a chance that the case could get cocked in the chamber. If it did, your chamber is crap!!
    All my rigs have the ejector rod and spring removed. The hole is left empty. If the empty hole causes the brass to flow, you're running your ammo way too hot anyway. I do have bolt heads with no ejector pin hole. Not using it so why have one added when being made?
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Being a newbie, I removed the ejectors on both barrels I installed. I was tempted to leave it in on the second install, but decided to take it out since it is relatively easy. Like Mike, I have seen several people post that they leave them in.

I have read several comments about people leaving them out permanently, like above. Stupid question, but with the ejector missing, will the brass still flip out of the action when the bolt is pulled back or does is simple just lay in the action.............or flip out but not far?

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Being a newbie, I removed the ejectors on both barrels I installed. I was tempted to leave it in on the second install, but decided to take it out since it is relatively easy. Like Mike, I have seen several people post that they leave them in.

I have read several comments about people leaving them out permanently, like above. Stupid question, but with the ejector missing, will the brass still flip out of the action when the bolt is pulled back or does is simple just lay in the action.............or flip out but not far?
    Not a stupid question!

Personally, I leave the "extractor" in at all time, even when headspacing! I make sure the brass is locked in the ejector before chambering. I do the same with the go/no gauges.

I always remove the ejector spring & pin.

Looking at the situation, "without" the extractor, what pulls the spent case out of the chamber. I have seen brass the extractor wouldn't pull out, and a carbon cleaning rod was used to gently tap the case out.

I just don't see shooting without an extractor!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Team Savage
    With the "ejector" rod and spring removed, the extractor will pull the case out of the chamber AND keep the case on the bolt head till you remove it. Works like a champ!! No more chasing brass.

Even gone as far as shortening the ejector rod on my Remington XP 100 action. Now the brass gets pulled out of the chamber and kinda falls over on to the bench.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Team Savage
    I've never seen a reason to remove the EJECTOR when setting headspace, but I do hate to fling cases. Really wondered about leaving the hole or putting the pin back in. Thanks for the replies.

Bill

If your trying to run a string of rounds prior to wind cycles changing then having an ejector that works is a benefit imo, having said that mine doesn't " so I have to pick Brass out of the sled with my fingers consuming precious time.