Thread: Savage barrel for model 111 in .280 Rem

Savage barrel for model 111 in .280 Rem

I just inherited model 111 in .30-06. I plan to have the stock refinished and the entire gun setup for one of my grandsons. Did Savage ever make a factory barrel chambered in .280 Rem? If so, how difficult are barrels to find?

Yes, they made them in .260 and they do show up for sale occasionally.
    That being said there's more than one way to skin that cat.
    Another option would be to handload the -06 with H4895 using the 60% of max charge formula and a light 125-130gr bullet or purchase some reduced recoil ammo. ( here's a link https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...ifle-loads.pdf )I'm much more familiar with reduced handloads than factory reduced recoil but Remington claims 50% recoil reduction. My handloads for the grandkids are above minmum reduced levels for more velocity when hunting but feel at or below .243 recoil levels and also have way reduced muzzle blast. I've got to where I like to shoot them a lot myself.
    My grandkids love to shoot reduced the .308 loads and will go through 50 rounds in one session and beg for more.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Looks like BHJ misread the caliber referenced in the first post. He said .280 Rem, not .260 Rem.

As for a factory Savage barrel in .280 Rem, the answer would be no as Savage has never chambered for that cartridge. That said, this year (2018) they have started making a couple rifles in .280 Rem Ackley Imp. but I highly doubt you'll find many take-offs as anyone buying one is doing so because that's the cartridge they want and I doubt demand is high enough for Savage to be cranking them out in large numbers.

If you're dead-set on a .280 Rem your best bet would probably be to just get an aftermarket barrel. Going to cost more and it will be a custom order, but you will get to specify the contour, length and twist rate you want. Pac-Nor or ER Shaw would likely be the most economical if you don't want to go all out on a premium blank like a Bartlien, Kreiger or Shilen.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Wouldn't be the first time I mis read something. LOL
    At least this time is wasn't the label on the soy sauce when I wanted maple syrup on pancakes.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    If you don't like the .06 I would go .270 neck and neck with the .280 !!!