Hey guys. I have a new Savage 10fcp-sr.308, 24 inch fluted barrel I bought some federal gold medal match 168gr. ammo and it shot just fine. broke it in and worked up some reloads. started at 43.5 grains imr 4064, 168 gr smk's and some 155 gr. Palmas shot ok. went to 44 and 44 1/2 and it started to blow primers with both 155 and 168 . I had a 700 rem. in .308 and I went up to 45.5 and everything was fine. I've checked several reloading sites and some have pushed to 46 with no sign of over pressure. I previously had a savage in .270 short mag that was blowing primers from day 1 with factory ammo only. 130 and 140 grain. sent it back to savage 2 times and it came back with the same problem. I sent them the end flaps from the ammo box and sent it back the third time. Took months to get through this. After all that, Come to find out that the chamber was cut off center. So new barrel and return 2 months later. Fired it and it was ok finally. Sold it right away. Now I'm worried that my .308 may have the same problem. Had the head space checked by gun smith and it is fine. Checked chamber depth and it came out at 2.888 and the groves measured .306. Could the tight bore be causing this? I'm spoked now with this new rifle. I've been reloading for 35 years and never had these problems with any other rifles. Getting discouraged too. Thanks for putting up with a newby with a long thread. Blessings.
My Pop told me "Don't believe anything you hear and !/2 of what you see and you'll be better off".