Thread: Considering selling my 338 FCP for RPR 338

Basic Member

Considering selling my 338 FCP for RPR 338

As title states, am considering selling to get the RPR. Now my Savage 338 FCP shoots great. Max distance is 1000 yards so far. I hate the magazine for this rifle plus the binding if I try to chamber to fast. Other than that, 10/10 out to 1000 yards last time out. The RPR is just getting into folks hands so watching the other forums for reviews from actual people who shoots this caliber. I remember the 1st batch of RPR 308 and 6.5 CM when they 1st came out had issues. But I like the design of the RPR. Around $1600.00 street price. Could get a different chassis for my FCP which would put me around the RPR price. If you have a 338 FCP or similar savage in 338 LM, are you considering switching? According to an video that interviewed Ruger about the new RPR, the longest shot hitting steel was 2020 yards (something like that, forgot exact range). Emailed Ruger to find out what they used. Hornady 285 ELD-M. Same bullet I reload for my FCP. Am just hung up on my decision. Any insight appreciated.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    I haven't bought a 338 yet, hoping and waiting to see what the RPR would be like, and for how much money. So far, and you gotta remember I love Savages, it's looking like the magnum RPRs just killed the market for Savage's Stealth Evolution.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

That is a lot of money to shoot 1000 yard paper or gong..

And Squirrelsniper is right. Savage half arsed the whole gun including nixing the repeater target action. They could even machine them small tennon threads like other action manufacturers do. But no----------o, we need to take ten steps backwards........... Build a thunder stick on a quality action like the Mark V Weatherby.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Plan on making the trip to utah next summer for the 1 mile milk jug challenge. Would like to get into long rang competition shooting. The milk jug challenge will be my see if I can do it test. Found a place with them in stock. My CC says go for it but my gut tells me to wait for more reviews.
    https://www.longrangeshootersofutah.com/1760-yards/

Basic Member
    Go sit behind the various 338s while watching through good tripod mounted optics as there being shot at a long distance.
    It will definatly change opinions as to which one to get.
    If you cant do that then be thinking 3000 fps minimum with at least a 250 gr bullet.
    Otherwise best just build a 300 Rum or 300 Norma.
    If beyond 1500 yds is on your mind then 300 gr bullets with same minimum velocity, and more is better.
    Regardless of choice, id take Robinhoods advise and be looking for a Mark V action or better yet a heavy duty custom.

Basic Member
    Am at 2860 fps with 285 ELD-M now with my FCP. Do have a faster load but no need for it yet since my max range is 1000 yards for now. With about 150 rounds shot so far, it’s just starting to break in nice. BTW, it was 2520 yards the RPR hit. Unable to view others already set up. Have read about the rum and norma. Good options. Also considering a 408 cheytac and 416 Barrett as possibilities if I decide to go larger. Already have load development done with current FCP so not sure I want to start over again. Appreciate everyone’s suggestions. Thanks.

Basic Member
    I emailed Hornady to see if the barrel is easy to replace like the smaller calibers are able to. Hoping it is.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I hate the magazine for this rifle.
    What is it that you don't like about the magazine? Is it the one made by Accurate Mag? I have six different AM magazines for several cartridges from 308 through 338 LM and they are the best feeding rifle magazines I have ever used.

Basic Member
    It’s the savage magazine that came with the rifle. All of my savage rifles, 10T 308 and 6.5, 338 FCP and my 10 FCP-SR in 308, all do the same thing, come loose while shooting with the factory magazines. They all shoot great though. The one time I put a cadex chassis on the 10T and was able to use p-mags, never an issue. Still, sold the cadex and went back to original factory chassis.

Basic Member
    Looks like changing the barrel is the same as the lower caliber RPR's according to the email I just received fro Hornady.

Basic Member
    Looks like these rifles are selling good. Every time I find a place in stock, gone by next day. Usually show 5 on hand on the couple stores I was about to order from. To late though. Will be ordering one when I find a place not price gouging. $1549.00 seems lowest from reputable places. Seen them as high as $1700 from places I don’t recognize. My main concern was changing the barrel. Just like the lower caliber versions.

Basic Member
    Well, I sold my savage 338. Hard decision. It’s a sweet rifle. New RPR 338 inbound. Still have my 308 FCP.

Basic Member
    Got out to the range to shoot the RPR 338. Wow, after shooting 46 rounds, no shoulder fatigue. No way I could do that with the savage. But this rifle is heavy. 15 lbs naked. Could not hunt with this with my old arse. The savage will shine for carrying for hunting. I will miss the savage but no regrets selling it for the RPR. Each has their own purpose. Wish I could have kept the savage though along with the RPR.

Basic Member
    I do plan on building an extended long range rig one day. I'll probably stick with the Mausingfield action though instead of off the shelf actions.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.