Thread: Rifle season opening soon here !!

Basic Member

Rifle season opening soon here !!

You can't go in to many places that the hunting story's are not being told, is in the air you an feel it, Michigan will come alive with hunters what a wonderful time of the year !!!!

Opening day here in Texas today. Had a spike I let walk. Slow otherwise. Nothing like sitting here at deer camp.

Had a REALLY large buck cross the road in front of my headlights a few miles from my home Friday night. He'd have been a solid 10 py but part of his left antler was missing.

Really gets the juices flowing! I'm ready.

Bow season has been a wash out. Rain, rain, rain.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Starts here the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Picked up a new 85 acres of hardwoods, surrounded by ag crops with a large creek running through the middle of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Jester

Basic Member
    Modern gun season starts Nov 10th in Arkansas, been getting lots of pictures from game cameras. Nice 6 point at one spot but will probably let him grow another year, be a good one next year.

Basic Member
    Opening day here is Nov 15. I'm no longer a hunter, but I absolutely love the lead up to deer season.. All the hunters show up to my range to verify zero or sight in new scopes, etc.. They leave an unGodly amount of once fired brass laying on the ground for me. I make it a point to get there early each morning to get first pick.. Sadly, this year no one seems to be hunting with a 308W. I've about worn out last yrs pickings and might have to buy some if things don't pick up. Anyway, I love lazy shooters that can't be bothered to police their brass.

I would like to see this guy in daylight.

[IMG][/IMG]
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    PaddyD the 6.5 caliber is all the rage our 308-30.06- 270 calibers are out of the loop !!!

The rut activity has started here in ETX. Sunday had a young 4 point come through with nose down and stoped 30 yards under oak tree. 45 min. later my shooter 7 point was standing there out of nowhere. Was gone just as quick, no shot. Next weekend is Peak rut and cold front is to come through Thursday. I am pumped!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter99 View Post
    PaddyD the 6.5 caliber is all the rage our 308-30.06- 270 calibers are out of the loop !!!
    Well, I absolutely love my outdated 30's and 27's! The only 6.5 I own is an Sweedish Mauser dated from 1915. It too is a real shooter, but rarely gets taken out.
    My 308W is a old 110FP and to date it has put right at about 4500 rounds down the tube and a few weeks ago it shot a group in the very low 2's using some SMK 175's pulled from M118 rounds, in LC74 cases using that old fashioned IMR 4064.. (Have yet to find a Varget load that shoots better in my .308 or 06's..) She might not shine as bright as those Creeds at 1,000 yds, but this old rifle will never lose it's home. The 6.5 Creedmor is a fantastic cartridge IF you are a guy who has access to extreme long range shooting areas, but my range is limited at present to 300M, so there will be no new 6.5's unseating my 30's in the safe.

Basic Member
    Ditto on the Varget my .06 really likes w760, oh my it that one of those out dated powders !!!

Basic Member
    Anyone have some pictures of deer they have gotten this year?

Basic Member
    I have not had any luck yet