Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough finish/tool marks inside my new barrel

Basic Member

Rough finish/tool marks inside my new barrel

Trying to figure out if I should contact the manufacturer of my new barrel or am I picking at nits? I know the surface finish inside a barrel sometimes does, but sometimes does not effect how it shoots. I have had (and seen) some barrels with a very rough looking bore shoot very good groups.
    However I just spent a lot of money on a new barrel and looking at the bore, I am a little disappointed. It looks like it may have been rifled with a bad/dull/damaged button. I will pretty much let the pictures do the talking.

Now if this was the first barrel I had ever bought from them, I might write it off as "this is the quality of their barrel", or it just needs some breaking in. However this barrel has been nitrated so the bore is kinda almost "set in stone" so to speak, as it will probably wear very little to none, so the marks will probably never get smoothed over.
    But the main reason I bring this up is that this is my 3rd barrel from the same company and the first two I got were nothing like this. The surface finish and land/groove were all perfect on them. One is a bare stainless, and the other is a CM that was nitrated (purchased from them with the nitrating already done).
    Here are a representative picture of those. (all 3 of these barrels are 5R rifled)

The SS barrel:

The nitrated barrel:

So after seeing the quality of the first two, you can probably see why I am a little disappointed on the 3rd one. After all was said and done, I have a little under $600 in this barrel (pre fit, threaded muzzle, nitrating, cryo, etc..)
    Just looking for some opinions of weather I am just nit picking, or do I have a legitimate *****.

Basic Member
    That looks like shit, I'd send it back.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

'Nough said.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Send it back and simply say that it failed an incoming Quality Control Inspection. Please replace asap.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    May I ask what company this is?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    May I ask what company this is?
    I am not going to post the name of the company as I am not the type to bash someone for a mistake. I will always give them the benefit of the doubt and a chance to make it right. So I will refrain of posting their name until I contact them with my issue and concerns.

Your aftermarket barrel kinda reminded me of my factory savage barrels on my 2 FV12's before I even took 'em to the range.

Not good. Trust your gut. Send it back
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Just sent a email to them this morning with pictures of the bore and the other two barrels I have from them as well. Will see what they say. Will update when I hear back from them.

Basic Member
    Well a week with no email response. So I just called them and they are emailing me a shipping label to send it back.
    Will update as I get new info.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Well a week with no email response. So I just called them and they are emailing me a shipping label to send it back.
    Will update as I get new info.
    I am guessing they will reply "the threads are cut to spec". Are you ready to get back on this ride again or just want your money back?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    I am guessing they will reply "the threads are cut to spec". Are you ready to get back on this ride again or just want your money back?
    The threads are fine, it is the bore that is the issue.

Basic Member
    Well just heard from the manufacturer and they agreed that it was not right. He said he looked back in his records and the blank it was made from was about a year old and the button was at the end of it's life.
    The good: they are going to remake the barrel asap.
    The bad: they said they no longer offer nitride.
    So they are giving me a $100 coupon towards my next barrel. I would have rather had nitride, but oh well. At least I will have the barrel and be able to put this rifle together.

Basic Member
    I'd tell them to give you a $100 coupon for ammo.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I'd tell them to give you a $100 coupon for ammo.
    I wish, but I do not think they are set up for that. The $100 refund is what they charged for the nitride, since they no longer offer it. (I would have rather had the nitride than the refund)
    The guy said the company they were having do it was taking way to long to do it. So maybe it won't take 2 months to get a replacement barrel like it did for the one I just sent back (it was a replacement for one that was threaded wrong)
    Maybe the third time is the charm?

Now I just need to figure out what to use the coupon for. I don't really have a immediate need for another barrel for anything.

There has been many conversations about "Nitride"! Pro's & Con's!

Maybe "sharpshooter" has a little input on this subject?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Hows does the nitride work, sounds really slick any info on people who still do it

Basic Member
    Well, 3 months and I finally have the replacement barrel. I checked it and it appears to finally be ok. The threads fit the receiver good, and the rifling looks good.

So lets see. I originally placed my order and paid for it in full on 8-10-17. Took nine months to get the barrel. Then this was discovered:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...rilled-crooked
    Turns out the threads on the barrel were undersized. Had to send the barrel and receiver to a gunsmith a pay them to figure it out.
    Then several months to get the replacement barrel, which was the one in this thread.
    Send it back and they start making me a new one, but in the mean time, they stop offering nitride, so my new new barrel is not going to have the service I paid for, but that's ok, we will refund you what you paid for the service in the form of a coupon for $100 (what I paid for nitriding) off your next barrel purchase.
    I'm really not sure I want to purchase another barrel from them.

If it's transferable, you could always sell that $100 coupon for $75 in the classifieds. At least you'd get 3/4 of your money back on it and not have to worry about dealing with them again.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage

I would not accept a coupon as a refund unless I could spend it anywhere I choose to just like a $100 bill.

Basic Member
    So, they're forcing you to buy another barrel to use the coupon? Nah, that's BS. They should have refunded you the $100.

Basic Member
    A coupon is basically the same as nothing. 90% of coupons and discount certificates never get redeemed. But ,"Hey, if anyone needs a discount on a turd, I got a coupon....."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    A coupon is basically the same as nothing. 90% of coupons and discount certificates never get redeemed. But ,"Hey, if anyone needs a discount on a turd, I got a coupon....."
    Got any pics?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Of the coupon, or the turd?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    So, they're forcing you to buy another barrel to use the coupon? Nah, that's BS. They should have refunded you the $100.
    Pretty much, but they did not straight out say they will not refund the money.
    I think I am going to send a lengthy email to the CS guy explaining my situation and unhappiness, and how I do not have any plans to buy another barrel any time soon, and chances are, when I do buy another barrel, it will not be from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast