Thread: savage 110 storm 223 question

Question savage 110 storm 223 question

I have just ordered a 110 storm because of it's left hand configuration and wonder if it will be sufficient for target shooting 300 yards and less or should I get an aftermarket heavy barrel...... and if so, will the heavy barrel work with the accufit accustock. I probably messed up but being a lefty has that priority making me settle for whatever I can find. Thanks for any information.

Basic Member
    There are other Savage rifles in left hand version with heavier barrels in 223, model 12 for example.
    For group shooting or shooting at varmits that might be a better choice for you.
    No need for any upgrading, just go shoot it.

savage 12

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    There are other Savage rifles in left hand version with heavier barrels in 223, model 12 for example.
    For group shooting or shooting at varmits that might be a better choice for you.
    No need for any upgrading, just go shoot it.
    Thanks for the response. The only model 12 I saw in Lefty was a single shot and I thought a little out of my budget.......

The thinner barrels are the issue as target shooters know. As the barrel heats up it has a tendency to move. If you take your time you can have fun. Will you get 10 shot groups in a inch and a half? No, but if your budget is the controlling factor by all means go for it. Your next rifle can be the real target gun. Get that trigger time.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    The thinner barrels are the issue as target shooters know. As the barrel heats up it has a tendency to move. If you take your time you can have fun. Will you get 10 shot groups in a inch and a half? No, but if your budget is the controlling factor by all means go for it. Your next rifle can be the real target gun. Get that trigger time.
    thanks for your input Robinhood. I was wanting a 1 in 9 twist and a left hand bolt so the only one I saw was the 110 Storm. I have a 110 creedmore and a 110 308 and both of them are excellent rifles for accuracy. The 308 is 1/4 minute with gold medal match and the Creedmore is 1/2 minute with hornady 140 eld match. I have a friend that bought a Remington LTR in 223 and I wanted to show him up with a savage. we shall see if the storm weathers the storm.

A sporter barrel is just fine for target shooting, you just have to be mindful of heat buildup with consecutive shots. My general rule of thumb is 3-shot groups for sporter barrels with most standard and magnum cartridges. With the .223 you can do a 5-shot group without much heat related vertical drift, but you'll have to give the barrel extra time to cool back down to ambient temperature between groups. Hotter summer days (over 85*) I would definitely limit it to 3-shot groups.

As far as accuracy potential, the masses will tell you you have to have a heavy barrel to shoot tiny groups because skinny barrels whip too much, but I've shot some of my best groups with skinny barrels. Sounds like you don't handload so you're at the mercy of factory ammo, but with the variety of .223 loads on the market you should have no problem finding one or two that shoot exceptionally well in a given barrel. Might not be the specific bullet you're wanting to shoot, but that's the downside of not rolling your own.

Presently the only thing Savage offers in LH in .223 is the 110 Storm, 11 Trophy Hunter XP package rifle, and the two 10 BA Stealth models. The old Model 12 FLV/FLCV that I believe yobuck was referring to has been discontinued for 2 or 3 years now.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    A sporter barrel is just fine for target shooting, you just have to be mindful of heat buildup with consecutive shots. My general rule of thumb is 3-shot groups for sporter barrels with most standard and magnum cartridges. With the .223 you can do a 5-shot group without much heat related vertical drift, but you'll have to give the barrel extra time to cool back down to ambient temperature between groups. Hotter summer days (over 85*) I would definitely limit it to 3-shot groups.

As far as accuracy potential, the masses will tell you you have to have a heavy barrel to shoot tiny groups because skinny barrels whip too much, but I've shot some of my best groups with skinny barrels. Sounds like you don't handload so you're at the mercy of factory ammo, but with the variety of .223 loads on the market you should have no problem finding one or two that shoot exceptionally well in a given barrel. Might not be the specific bullet you're wanting to shoot, but that's the downside of not rolling your own.

Presently the only thing Savage offers in LH in .223 is the 110 Storm, 11 Trophy Hunter XP package rifle, and the two 10 BA Stealth models. The old Model 12 FLV/FLCV that I believe yobuck was referring to has been discontinued for 2 or 3 years now.

Thanks for your input J Baker. I do in fact shoot hand loads in some calibers and the 223 is one of those. I'm hoping my 62 grain loads do well in this 1 in 9 but I also have a 55 grain load I'm playing with that looks promising. Thanks for your information.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Thanks for the response. The only model 12 I saw in Lefty was a single shot and I thought a little out of my budget.......
    Where did you see a left hand single shot?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Where did you see a left hand single shot?
    I don't even know now. I thought I saw it on the Savage Arms website but I've looked so many places lately I might have been looking at another brand. Seems like the savage 12 is a 1 in 12 twist and I have a 1 in 12 twist Ruger M77 already so I was looking for a 1 in 9. I just looked at a savage 12 vlp on buds guns but it's not a 1 in 9.

I bet it was the Right Bolt Left Port LRPV.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

seems like they called it a palma or something.......

Basic Member
    I think you are confused......left handed single shots come from the custom shop, as they are not a catalog item.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I have just ordered a 110 storm because of it's left hand configuration and wonder if it will be sufficient for target shooting 300 yards and less or should I get an aftermarket heavy barrel...... and if so, will the heavy barrel work with the accufit accustock. I probably messed up but being a lefty has that priority making me settle for whatever I can find. Thanks for any information.
    Several options available to you are:
    1 Buy a new or slightly used take off varmint barrel on this site and DYI or take it to a smith to have it put on.
    2 Contact one of the barrel makers such as Northland Shooter Supply and buy a new custom barrel.
    3 Put out a Want to Buy ad for a left handed 10, 11 or 12 action or wait for one to pop up, then build yourself a custom rig.

Unfortunately, lefty stock choices are few and far between. I built a rifle for my lefty shooting friend. It's a right hand model he simply shoots left handed. Actually works really well for bench type shooting, cycling the bolt with right hand while keeping left hand and cheek on the rifle. You can also order a custom made stock from Richards Micro Fit in a left hand, right bolt style. Only drawback is you have to do all the final fit and finishing, but if that's your thing or you want to learn, then no problem.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Thanks Texas 10. I will check out these suppliers. Appreciate your help.

I probably am. I've searched all over the internet for left handed heavy barrel target type rifles and have seen many more right handed models than left. Custom shop is probably a great idea.

I shot my 110 storm 223 yesterday for the first time. Three shots to get my scope on paper and near centered. Next five shots were 5/8" ragged hole. and that was off a wooden table with a plastic gun rest that I hope to never attempt to use again. 55 grain dogtown bullets. I'm really excited about this rifles potential.

Basic Member
    I think you will be happy with it.

I only shoot paper so I went for an Axis II .223 HB when I saw one at a Walmart. It has been a tack driver, but, prefers Sierra MK bullets.

The HB is nice. Point of impact changes only a small fraction of an inch from cold to very hot barrel. And it still shoots better than I do. Last group I shot was less than half an inch. That was at the end of a session and barrel was too hot to hold.

So, have fun with it. If you ever have a need for a heavier barrel you can always get another one fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I think you will be happy with it.

I only shoot paper so I went for an Axis II .223 HB when I saw one at a Walmart. It has been a tack driver, but, prefers Sierra MK bullets.

The HB is nice. Point of impact changes only a small fraction of an inch from cold to very hot barrel. And it still shoots better than I do. Last group I shot was less than half an inch. That was at the end of a session and barrel was too hot to hold.

So, have fun with it. If you ever have a need for a heavier barrel you can always get another one fitted.
    I don't understand savages structure and offerings in rifles. The cheapest guns they offer is the axis line and that's where they offer the heavy barrels. The 110 might be no better than the axis line, I don't know, but I wonder why their more expensive rifles come with thin barrels and their entry level rifles are top notch, heavy barrels tack drivers.......I wonder if they are trying to discourage people from spending money on their top line rifles? Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Basic Member
    Well, my Axis HB is not a catalog item. They offer several combinations to different vendors, like Cabela's, Walmart, etc that don't show up in their lineup.

The Mod 10/12 series has some HB setups, maybe not as cheap. But, the Cabela's 12FV (I think) was a bargain.

Basic Member
    If you do find that the thin barrel needs cooling, you might try the fan built into a chamber flag that is available from barrelcool.com.
    http://barrelcool.com/product-category/barrelcool/

I bought one for about $36 about 18 months ago, if I remember correctly.
    It has a tube the fits into the chamber and I find it cuts cooling time in half over just letting the rifle sit.
    That really makes a difference when the temperature on the firing line is 85 degrees.

I have a LCD strip on the barrels of my target rifles so I can tell when the barrel temp is getting too high.
    When a bull barrel gets to around 122 deg F. I find that the POI drops about 1/4 inch.
    My 6.5mm Creedmoor 12 LRP groups really well and 1/4 inch is a 20% increase in group size with a good load.