Thread: 220f accuracy finally achieved

220f accuracy finally achieved

After many boxes and brands of sabots, I finally have a slug gun that I confident with.
    The issued stock is temperature sensitive, black ijection molded plastic expands and shrinks with heat, especially if laying in the sun. Results varied because of this.
    Went to a Boyds platinum stock, laminated in a nutmeg color. Steel bed the lug. Federal Blue Box 2 3/4 inch, 7/8 ounce slug. 100 yards 2.0 inchgroup.
    I set this at 2 inches high at 50, it drops to 2 inches at 100. Up here in the northeast thats more than 99.9% of the situations to kill a deer.

Laminated wood is perferred by bench gun and f class shooters. Anyone else have similar results?

Basic Member
    That's pretty crazy. I know of guys who didn't have to do that to achieve the same accuracy. Their slug of choice is Remington Accutips in 2-3/4" or 3" ( usually the 2-3/4").

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    That's pretty crazy. I know of guys who didn't have to do that to achieve the same accuracy. Their slug of choice is Remington Accutips in 2-3/4" or 3" ( usually the 2-3/4").

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Dont know what to tell you, but the scope and mounts are Leupold, it's probably one of those finicky guns.. Havent tried the Accutips again, but its to close to hunting season now.. Ill try them next summer.

I still think it was the stock, the gun is well balanced and feels very comfortable to shoot..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calrifle View Post
    Dont know what to tell you, but the scope and mounts are Leupold, it's probably one of those finicky guns.. Havent tried the Accutips again, but its to close to hunting season now.. Ill try them next summer.

I still think it was the stock, the gun is well balanced and feels very comfortable to shoot..
    As long as you're happy with the gun, that's all that matters. I am curious what kind of groups you would have seen with the Accutips in the original stock though.

Best of luck hunting this season.

David

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    As long as you're happy with the gun, that's all that matters. I am curious what kind of groups you would have seen with the Accutips in the original stock though.

Best of luck hunting this season.

David
    Accutips gave a 4" group @ 100yds.

Hornady SST were the worst, about a 5 inch group.

These were all 2 3/4", which were more accurate than the 3" shell.

I know some of the early 220's had slightly oversized bores which caused a lot of frustration for guys in the accuracy department. That was back in 2008/2009 though and has long since been corrected so unless you got one of the real early ones that shouldn't be the case here.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain