Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nikon monarch 3

Basic Member

nikon monarch 3

i have my mind sort of set on a sightron 6x24 for long range varmint hunting, i do alot of turret turning using click software, someone has told me that the nikon monarch 3 model nk 6779 may be a good choice with equal clarity, but been looking for specs and cannot find how much elevation and windage they have, curious if anyone has one and are they repeatable as far as turret turning ect. any thoughts on the nikon vs the sightron

thanks
    chet

Basic Member
    A few years back I had a scope emergency pop up a few days before the opening day of buck season.
    So I went to a fairly close large store and selected a Nikon Monarch on recommendation of a friend who was along who had several.
    It has very clear optics compared to my older Leupolds, and the turrets work just fine, but im personaly not wild over the knob style.
    I did end up putting the old scope back on when the issue was resolved, and the Nikon now sits on a 6x284 that dosent see much use. Thats not very good information, but enough that id certainly recommend one over a Vortex, but not so sure I would over a Sightron.
    I think if I had a Sightron stuck in my mind id go buy one.

Sightron!! You will not find a better scope in that price range that will beat the Sightron in either glass clarity or tracking. I've beat this to death over the 2 years I was building my long range rifle, trying to figure out what exceptional glass I wanted to put on it. My rifle ran about $1200 so I went with the old saying of "your optics should cost as much as your rifle" theory.

Sightron was the only scope that fit the bill and did it exceptionally. I can not imagine a situation where you would be disappointed with purchasing an SIII model.

Bottom line is: if Nikon has built a $400+ scope that can compete with the glass clarity and tracking ability of a $800-$1000 Sightron SIII. Then we no longer have to worry about what brand of scope we will ALL be shooting...

Just my opinion of course... But I will say I bought my SIII without even looking thru the reticle first... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVh6xDzRhqg Check out this review if you want. This was what made me decide to go the SIII route. I was considering the PST as my other option in the price range. I was going with the thought process of "Buy once, Cry once". When it came to forking over the Benjamin's... strangely, I've never cried once about how much money I spent on it. Turret caps are now upgradable too as well as a Zero stop. ($50 per turret cap-- $16 for zero stop shim) I would recommend the SFP version for little tiny varmints, but I'm a big fan of my FFP.

Good luck,

Haven't had a lot of experience with Nikon's in the last 10 years (sans one M-223 2-8x) so take this for what it's worth. If you're going to be dialing up/down a lot the only Nikon line I would seriously consider is the new Black FX1000 series. Most everything else Nikon has made up to this point is hunting oriented with fairly basic mechanics. The M223 and M308 lines offered calibrated turret caps for NATO spec ammo, but the internals were still the same as use on everything else. The new Black FX1000 series was designed from the ground up for long-range shooting and from the reviews I've read/watched this past year they seem to have done a very good job putting together a very good scope that's up to the task.

They're a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Sightron's, and not having the opportunity to compare both side-by-side in the field I have no clue what the difference in optical quality might be between the two. One might think price would indicate a noticeable difference, but remember that Nikon is a HUGE global leader in optics and Sightron is a very small predominately domestic company - that difference in scale alone could easily quantify the price difference as Nikon can get by with a smaller mark-up and rely more on volume with all of it's other divisions.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    That MONARCH 3 , 6779 has 30 MOA of internal adjustment. You will be hard pressed to find one, plus the turrets are capped. I would suggest looking at Nikon's BLACK X1000 scope, 4-16x50 ad 6-24x50. Both SFP scopes and 30mm tubes. I have 3 on longrange rifles and love em. So far I have dropped hogs and coyotes out past 700 yards with the 6.5cm. I just bought 2 of the 4-16x50 MOA BLACK FX1000 scopes for 6.5's as well. It is tought o beat these scopes with all the features you get for your $.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Here's the specs on the 6779 Monarch 3

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...Tabs-TechSpecs

I've used Nikon cameras (FE, F2AS, Coolpix S9100) and binocs since 1977. Very much trust the brand. I have a Prostaff 3 that has eight years on it (currently on my M11 .260 Rem) and a non-model 3-9x40 (comes with the XP Hunter) on a .223 Rem that are both serviceable, but I am easy on scopes so long as they are weatherproof. I like the BDC for my hunting uses and ranges.

I had a pair of marine binoculars that were 27 years old and the eyecups were crackling apart. But since I wear glasses that wasn't an issue. When the internal red LED failed for the bearing compass I sent them back for service.

A brand new pair of Ocean Pro marine binocs showed up two weeks later!
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    hi Bart

the nikon black x looks promising, second focal plane is what i want, one question, i do alot 100to 300yd target shooting, i never looked thru one is that reticle going to hamper target shooting, is it going to be too heavy

chet

Basic Member
    I don't think it will be an issue. I have never heard anyone say they thought the reticle was too thick or obscured the target. Look through one, I think you will be impressed.

Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=bman940;441111]I don't think it will be an issue. I have never heard anyone say they thought the reticle was too thick or obscured the target. Look through one, I think you will be impressed.

That scope would be one I could get along well with. I dial by using minits, and they are easy to see on that scope. Also at least for me, a zero stop wouldn't be necessary what with the lines clearly showing under the dial. One thing I can say about the Monarch I bought, is that it was installed on a 300 Norma, and the rings just tightened down with a regular hand tool, not a torque driver as needed on Vortex and im sure others.
    Is that a Saco action?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Is that a Saco action?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a Bergara since that's what it says on both the action and chassis.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Correct, Bergara. I have been amazed at the accuracy Bergara has been able to get with their rifles for the price. I ran this data so you can see what you would get with the BLACK X1000 6-24x50 MOA scope.

Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a Bergara since that's what it says on both the action and chassis.
    Guess I didn't spot any name that I could read, just going by the bolt release it looked like a Sako.

Basic Member
    i changed my mind today, and ordered the Athlon Midas Tac 6x24x50 this will be my first FFP scope. so we will see how it goes when i get it, according to Athlon the Midas Tac glass is supposed to be as good as my current S3's

chet

Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    i changed my mind today, and ordered the Athlon Midas Tac 6x24x50 this will be my first FFP scope. so we will see how it goes when i get it, according to Athlon the Midas Tac glass is supposed to be as good as my current S3's
    Chetc, this will be very interesting... Please let us know how that $600 scope actually compares in glass clarity and tracking vs. your SIII scopes. I've been looking at the cheaper models to buy for my dad. He's never had a scope that he can dial for longer ranges.

Basic Member
    Sage, If your dad will just use his rifle for hunting check out Nikon's BDC reticle. I put a PROSTAFF 5 on a rifle for my Father In-Law when he was 78 because I got tired of him averaging 10-12 shots per deer. I taught him how the BDC reticle worked, took him tot he range and that season, 3 deer with 3 shots with the longest shot being 299 yards. At 82 he continues with 1 shot stops. Easy and accurate to use.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

BMAN,

My dad is one of those old school "Kentucky windage" guys... With that being said, He's a dang good shot with those old standard duplex reticles... I had to get a scope I could dial for myself, just so I could shoot about as well as the old man... he's good out to 400 yards or so, but I will admit it's not a first round hit (on a 10" gong) once he gets past 300. (although he did bust an antelope on the first round and 376 yards with his 7MM and those standard crosshairs) I am first rounding everything out to 450 yards now. I think he would like to have the same results as I am getting, but he just won't pull the trigger on buying "new age" optics... His quote to me is "my old Leupolds have been working just fine for what I use them for." So, my thought is if I can find him an affordable one (cheap) that actually dials the way it's supposed to. I think he'll eventually come to like it. The other reason is that he's getting to the age where he's going to have to change the way he hunts, as he can't brush hog, or hunt the thick timber, climbing over dead fall the way he used to. If I can get him setup on a landing where he can glass, and let me and my bro do the brush hogging, he'll be able to continue to hunt a few years longer.

Thanks for the advice... I do appreciate it and will have to think about going that way... I like having windage marks in my reticle to help me be more precise with holding for wind, and I think that he would prefer that as well, given that he does so well with "nothing" to help him with holding off currently. My hope is that once he figures out how to use the scope and sees how easy it makes those longer shots, maybe he'll build a long range rig and join me in shooting LR. I started hunting again about 4-5 years ago just to spend time with him that I lost when I was younger (we didn't see eye to eye on anything back then). I'd like to share the LR shooting with him too and would give us something we can still do together after he can't hunt anymore... So, basically I'm trying to convert the "old dog" and teach him some new tricks... LOL!! we all know how difficult that can be.

Cheers,

Basic Member
    I get it, My Father-In-Law was in the Army during the Korean war (Artillery Division), Needless to say, his hearing isn't there anymore but on the plus side, he's still stubborn as heck! We have had many great trips together hunting family land in KS. Surprisingly, just trying getting him to use a rangefinder was a no go. It got to where we hunted together in an enclosed and heated blind. I would point out the deer, point to my laminated chart and tell him which circle to use. We usually had 5 deer tags to fill so he got lots of action and took a number of huge grain fed whitetails. At 84 now he doesn't feel up to coming to TX from OR and then driving 10 hours to where we hunt. Some great memories tho!

On to your dad. Check out Nikon's brand new P-Tactical 3-9x40 MOA reticle scope. Sub $200 and it has just what you are looking for to make those long shots. You can also dial in your rifle, scope, and ammo using Spot On for more accurate holdovers. A feature your dad might appreciate is the fine focus eyepiece too.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Unfortunately, the 3-9 power isn't enough magnification for him anymore even at 200 yards... He's had to move to a 4-12 power scope as his eyes aren't any good anymore either. I might have to take a look at that Black 1000 you posted above though... I go thru Optics planet for most of my scopes, so might be able to coupon steal that one too. (I stole my Sightron SIII FFP 6-24x50 for $776) Thanks for all the tips on Nikon.

What part of OR is your Pops in? Were you originally from here too? If so, then you know what kind of terrain we have to hunt in.

Good luck to you this season... My season starts Nov 3 (ELK).

Basic Member
    Sorry to get off topic, I tried to send a PM but no luck. I'm from Portland, hunted elk/deer all over E. Or with a left handed Savage .300 Win.. Moved to TX and haven't looked back. Hunt 24/7/365 here.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Hmmm... I wonder why you couldn't PM me... Strange!

I'm in the Eugene area (not Eugene itself though... LOL) We're hunting in E. OR also (at least this year) and I use a Lefty Savage 30-06 for Elk & Deer, my long range rig is a 260 Rem that Dad and I built of a Savage action, which is the rifle that my Sightron is on...

365 a year?? That must be NICE!! Always head over to Xmas valley or Lakeview around March-May for varmint shooting.... Gotta love the high desert for that kind of stuff... The wind is so consistent..

Basic Member
    Love that area. Shoot me an e-mail and if you go for the Nikon I know a 10% off code, it's something. Anyone else interested, I'll share with you too.
    B

bman_88 at hotmail.com
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
    Love that area. Shoot me an e-mail and if you go for the Nikon I know a 10% off code, it's something. Anyone else interested, I'll share with you too.
    B

bman_88 at hotmail.com
    Roger that... Thanks again BMAN!!

Basic Member
    let ya know in about a week,
    chet

Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    let ya know in about a week
    Thank you Chetc!!

Basic Member
    I got the Athlon Midas tac 6x24x50 wed, had it out today, i will say it's quite the scope, the dot is perfect for target shooting,glass is every bit as equal as the Sightron, might be a hair brighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast