Thread: Quick question about aftermarket stock.

Arei

Quick question about aftermarket stock.

Hi all!

I bought Savage 11 FCXP in .308Win in last summer. And now I'm planning to make some modifications to it.

I'm considering to order a Choate Tactical BUT witch one of those will fit to my rifle? I measured the action screw spacing and got 11.5cm(4.52") from center to center?? It has 3 round detach-magazine and it feeds from center of the magazine.

Sorry if I'm asking something, that has allready covered here, but I couldn't find answer to this..
    I would be really greatfull is someone would help me!

Arei

P.S
    Sorry for my bad english. I'm from otherside of Atlantic and english isn't my native language ::)

Basic Member

Re: Quick question about aftermarket stock.

Arei,

Did you buy the rifle new or used?

From the description it looks like you have a new centerfeed action. However the action screw spacing on the centerfeeed action should be 4.40".

The old first generation short actions had 4.52" spacing, but they stopped being made quite some time ago. Most of the short actions we see nowadays are either 4.400" (centerfeed, the newest design) or 4.275" (staggered feed).

I'd suggest you double check the screw spacing measurement just to make sure.

Arei

Yes, I did buy the rifle as new.

It has centerfeed magazine, but no accutrigger or -stock.

Is the action screw measured from holes center to center, or "between" the screws?

I gues I have to double check it :)

If we assume that I have the 4.40" spacing, and I have detach magazine, will any of those Choate stock fit to my gun, or does it need modifications to take the magazine frame from my old stock, or is it supplied with the new one.

Sorry for these dumb questions, but I am ordering the stock from US, and I want to be sure that Ill get the right one!!!

Arei

Basic Member

The action screw spacing should be measured center to center.

Assuming it's 4.40" centerfeed action, yes Choate has a stock that will fit without modifications. You just need to take the trigger guard and magazine frame from the factory stock and install it on the Choate stock. It should drop right in. Just make sure you order the stock for detachable magazine, not blind magazine.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

Arei

Yes, I re-measured the screw spacing and got 4.40". I gues I didnt know how to use tapemeasure :D

Im going for the Choate Tactical, atleast it look's good and has bedding block.

Choate sell's it 250$+15% export fee. If I buy it here it cost 550$. Theres the reason why I want to buy it directly from Choate.

I live in Finland, that small patch of forrest between Sweden and USS... sorry, Russia ;D

Basic Member

Cool!
    I think you will like the Choate Tactical. I have a couple of Choate stocks and like them a lot. Just be aware that the Choate stocks are quite a bit heavier than the factory plastic stock, so it will be adding weight to the rifle (good for target shooting off a bench, bad for carrying around out in the field). Also the barrel channel in the stock is 1.25" wide for heavy barrels. With a sporter barrel there will be a significant gap between barrel and stock (of course this doesn't affect performance at all, but some people may not like the way it looks).

Onnea matkaan!

Arei

Weight of the stock isnt a problem, lack of it is... I dont like lightness of stock Savage mostly because of the trigger. Its not adjustable(kinda) and was really really horrible. I gues it law-suite-free trigger ;D

I got it little better with some work, but still not happy with it. I send e-mail to SSS about their comp-trigger but no reply yet.

Besides heavyer stock means more stability, less recoil and less sensitive to trigger errors. And I have Eberlestock for carrying it while hunting birds. In deerhunt there is no need to travel miles...

I think Ill need the wider barrel channel. Im getting heavyer Lothar Walther barrel to it...

Quote Originally Posted by LG

Onnea matkaan!
    Kiitos!

Team Savage

must be really big birds in finland

Arei

Quote Originally Posted by drybean
    must be really big birds in finland
    .308 is great gun for black grouse etc. With mild load, and proper bullet it doesnt tear the bird like small and fast bullets(ie.223, 22-250). Those are easy to shoot to distance but hit wind or tree branch its lost.

With .308 theres just hole in the bird and you find it under the tree.

Its not the size its how you use it!! ;D