Thread: My Axis has grown on me

My Axis has grown on me

I've had a stainless Axis .270 for a couple years and it always "acted like it wants to shoot". I had the usual stock and trigger issues. The biggest changes I made were a Rifle Basix trigger and gluing the trigger guard/stock section to the stock. I also evened out the gap at the forearm tip. I took some Scotch Brite and dulled the shiny stainless barrel.

Since I was going to be hunting on a farm with large fields, I sighted in at 200 yards, and was under 1 MOA with 130 gr Accubonds. I shot a large doe last week, but it was only 40 yards away.

It's turning into my favorite deer rifle. Who knew?

Basic Member
    I just swapped a 243 barrel onto my 308 axis2, fun gun. All Ive changed is epoxied the forearm and added weight to the buttstock.

Basic Member
    Had a stainless Axis 308 that never really shot that good. Swapped out a xcaliber 243 barrel and she is plugging 1/2 MOA now. Worse parts of an Axis are the crappy bolt handle and its clearance, and the longer action/bolt size. But I do like the removable magazine.

Basic Member
    I have 2 axis rifles. The .223 shoots about 1 MOA out to 300 yards. . I put a Sightron 3-9x40 on it and It really is a nice shooter, I like it a lot. All I have done is clip the trigger spring about 1 1/2 coils.

The other one is a 25-06 and shoots really nice. I am currently letting my mom use it for deer season, and I haven't seen it since summer a year ago. She likes it a lot :)

Basic Member
    My friend thinks his is one of the best guns he has ever owned !!

Basic Member
    Like mine a lot. Best upgrade was the Timney trigger.

Basic Member
    Yep, it will be a sad day when I wear out the barrel on my .223 Now days I just try and find new loads for it. I did get a Boyd's stock to make it look pretty :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yep, it will be a sad day when I wear out the barrel on my .223 Now days I just try and find new loads for it. I did get a Boyd's stock to make it look pretty :)
    Which style stock did you get? How was the fit and quality

Basic Member
    Mine is the Pro Varmint. The barrel channel was a bit 'tight' for me, heavy paper would slide between barrel and stock and I like a bit more clearance. so I wrapped some sandpaper around the barrel and worked it along the channel. The magazine catch is still not fitted right. It is a tab that is held in by the front action screw. Took a little work with a file to get the magazine to latch.

Quality was excellent, especially for such an inexpensive stock. Finish and action fit were very good. The recoil lug fit in the cut slot very closely. I have not bedded it at all but it is only a .223 If I had something with a bit more kick I would probably pillar bed it at least.

Basic Member
    I have the old man ( Edge ) in .243, it has taken a lot of Michigan whitetail deer !!!

Basic Member
    I have an edge in .223, which is super accurate, and an axis in 22-250 which is my coyote calling gun and shoots perfect. added rifle basics triggers and did a little bedding in both. I just love them both, they are a poor mans dream

This morning the Axis took a nice 9 pointer. The rifle not only shoots well, but is lucky!

Basic Member
    I bought a wood-stocked 243 axis just before Christmas last year. Half a dozen deer and more than a handful of hogs and coyotes have fallen to it in the last year. With the 85gr sierra bthps' I get a 5 shot group that can be covered with a quarter. It shoots more accurately than the much-more-expensive rifles my hunting partners shoot (granted handloading probably helps that). I've owned axis' in 223 and 25-06 as well. None of them have been poor shooters.
    A painted turd is still a turd...