Thread: 116 barrel off centered in stock. Breechface/chamber aligned?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

116 barrel off centered in stock. Breechface/chamber aligned?

Alright guys, I have a 116 30-06 that is 100% factory. Actually it’s a replacement for a 116 I had bought that was replaced under warranty. Maybe I should have sent it back when it arrived but thought I would see what it would do.

The barrel is close to touching on one side of the stock. Still floated, just really close.

Decided to work up some reloads for it since I’ve only been shooting factory ammo. Firstly, I wanted to check the distance to the lands. I colored a bullet(165 gr Sierra GK) with a sharpie and set it 3.33 OAL. This is OAL from Sierra Load manual. At 3.33 I’m making contact. But I’m not liking what I see. About half of the bullet circumference I have nice imprints from the lands, the other half is just a line with no marks from lands. Walked the seating depth down to 3.2835. Still getting contact with something leaving a scuff mark. This is on the lower side of chamber. No marks from lands @ this measure.

I do not have a way to measure concentricty of my reloads although I doubt that is the cause. Always occurs on lower side of chamber.

Once fired Remington and Federal cartridges also exhibit a slight bulge on one side of the case just ahead of the case head.

Ill see about getting some pictures uploaded and some measurements from the micrometer.

I also do not have a borescope.

There are no pressure signs with factory ammo. Rifle shoots decently although it does walk a little as the barrel gets hot, but for a hunting rifle only one or maybe two shots are all that is ever needed.

Recommendations for checking things out?

Edit. Some numbers. Contact with edge occurs (No lands marks) down to 3.2835 and maybe lower, but that’s as far as I got adjusting seating depth. Marks appear at bottom edge of bullet or lower 180 degrees of chamber. I’m being very careful loading these to not make any false contact and again on extraction holding them so the ejector isn’t pushing them into the receiver.

Remington brass prior to firing measure 0.4620 - 0.4625
    after firing 0.4675 to 0.4665 with the bulge facing the larger of the two numbers.

Trying to upload some pics. I’ll make a photobucket and link.

http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/ka...rider/library/

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/kamikazidrrider/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3FC20D46-7DCF-46AC-AADE-752FF5F420DE.jpg