Thread: My barrel changed its' mind

Basic Member

My barrel changed its' mind

After going through the break in process with my 111 Savage Long Range Hunter 300WM I tested a bunch of different factory ammo with different bullets.

I settled on 200gr Eld-X. The worst 5rd group I shot was a .738

Fast forward about 220rds through the barrel and I'm no longer getting groups from the Eld-X's. In fact I'm not even getting a consistent POI. Like I suddenly forgot how to shoot a rifle.

I clean it, check the bedding, action bolt torque, shoot different rifles first, dry fire, etc.....

I tried some of the other ammo I had left over. Now the rifle is grouping 210 VLD's and and 215 Hybrid's. It groups Hybrid's best.

I ordered enough factory 215 Hybrid's for what's left of elk season.

Today I shot a cold bore zero. Dialed the correction then confirmed at 200 and 300yds.

I ran 10rds through the Magnetospeed, entered the data in my phone and confirmed DOPE out to 1109yds.

Anyone else have a barrel change bullet preference after putting a couple of hundred rounds through it?

FTR - I have enough Norma brass for the life of the barrel and a couple of boxes of 215 Hybrids ordered.

Has your high end scope given up the ghost?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    That is why my brother never spends the time for a full work-up until he hits 150 rounds through the barrel.

I would say it is pretty common. About half of my loads need to be adjusted after 100-150 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Has your high end scope given up the ghost?
    That is what I was thinking also. But since ammunition change seemed to change things...I dunno.

Had a similar thing happen to my CBI chambered in .260 Rem. Still likes the same bullet, but I did have to adjust seating depth after about 150 rounds... Then had to adjust my powder charge after 400-500 rounds as I picked up some MV...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Coach View Post

I clean it, check the bedding, action bolt torque
    Cleaned, how? Just powder fouling- or did you strip copper as well?

You could easily have copper buildup with that round count, esp on a new factory barrel.

Basic Member
    Smoothing out the throat by firing rounds through the new barrel/chamber has probably changed things a bit. The heavier bullet and longer length is probably more forgiving.

Basic Member
    Here's a situation that's developed with my use of ELD-M bullets..not X's but same company....

My 6.5 Creedmoor was shooting inside an inch (.904) at 300 yds with 130 grn ELD-M bullets, Starline small primer brass and Re 17 powder. Got another shipment of bullets about a month ago and put together my usual load.

They shoot like crap...1.75 inches at 100 yds!

the "new" bullets have an "ogive to base" measurement that is running .020 SHORTER than my first batches of bullets. I shoot PRS so I'm shooting from magazines and my rounds have to reliably fit in and feed through external mags which limits how long I can load them.

They're loaded as long as they can be and what used to be a .015 jump to the rifling is now .035 and my rifle does NOT like it and I have two boxes of them...

May be worth the effort to measure and compare....

Basic Member
    My 300mag shot the Barnes TTSX 180gr .760-.665-then after 200 rounds 1 3/4-2 1/4 ??