Thread: Boyds Stock Conversion

Boyds Stock Conversion

I am considering converting my Model 11 TH XP to a Boyds wooden stock. I bought this gun new a couple of months ago. 6.5 Creedmoor LH. I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone have the Savage part number for the metal bottom plate assembly that includes the spring loaded clip for a Short Action magazine? My gun has the slot in the plastic stock for the plastic clip on the bottom front of the mag and it also has the trigger guard bolt release so I believe this requires a different (thinner) bottom plate than guns with a top bolt release. Thanks!

This previous thread was about a similar issue on the Axis:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...mag-base-plate

I did a little more research (youtube, etc.) then called Savage and ordered the bottom metal, metal trigger guard and metal magazine bottom cap. Total price: $123 plus tax and shipping. Then I ordered a featherweight thumbhole stock in pepper laminate from Boyd's and a 10 round Savage brand mag from grabagun.com. That way I will have the option of using the stock capacity mag or the 10 rounder. I could have just cut the plastic clip off the stock mag and avoided the $19 cost of the metal cap but this way I will also have all the parts to convert it back to completely original. BTW, I did find an Ebay listing for used bottom metal but the price was higher than the new parts directly from Savage and there will be no guesswork about whether or not everything will fit.

I really like the pepper laminate. That is the color I chose for my At-one.
    Jester

I have the Boyd's Lightweight Thumbhole on my M11. I ended up with a Gun Shack steel trigger guard and E.Arthur Brown plastic bottom "metal" (locks up nice, though). Mine is the Axis style magazine with the plastic hook on the front.

For my region I went with the forest camo. A little more contrast. I also had them do a scale pattern checkering and a Pachmayr pad. Came out great.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Quote Originally Posted by blksn8k View Post
    I did a little more research (youtube, etc.) then called Savage and ordered the bottom metal, metal trigger guard and metal magazine bottom cap. Total price: $123 plus tax and shipping. Then I ordered a featherweight thumbhole stock in pepper laminate from Boyd's and a 10 round Savage brand mag from grabagun.com. That way I will have the option of using the stock capacity mag or the 10 rounder. I could have just cut the plastic clip off the stock mag and avoided the $19 cost of the metal cap but this way I will also have all the parts to convert it back to completely original. BTW, I did find an Ebay listing for used bottom metal but the price was higher than the new parts directly from Savage and there will be no guesswork about whether or not everything will fit.

Just for anyone reading this in the future, simply cutting the plastic catch latch off the Axis-style magazine will not allow it to work with the premium (metal) bottom metal. YOu have to change the bottom cap to the metal one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

From ugly to awesome in ten minutes or less...