Thread: Old 111 Side Button DBM Upgrades

Basic Member

Old 111 Side Button DBM Upgrades

Hi all,

I was checking Boyd's today and noticed they have stocks now to accommodate the older side button DBM models. Mine is chambered in 30-06. I've wanted to do work to this rifle for a while, but finding a stock was always an issue. Now, I'm going to get one from Boyd's because it will be better than the 2002 tupperware that is on there now.

My action looks to be a magnum length that hasn't been milled out all the way. I need to put my calipers on it to measure, but it looks like I could squeeze a magnum length cartridge into the action with a new magazine and some milling, if necessary. I'm totally fine with .30-06, but I was going to set this up as more of a stand type rifle and was thinking of chambering it in .300 Win Mag or .300 PRC, if possible with a medium heavy barrel. I'd probably use it as more of a range toy than anything. I just don't know exactly what can and can't do to/with the action and if it is even cost effective to make those kinds of changes. Swapping a bolt head and magazine isn't a huge deal, but milling could be $$$. I know this forum is a wealth of knowledge so any advice is appreciated.

Just to note, I am totally fine with an MOA level rifle. This rifle shoots just about about 1.25-1.5 MOA as is. Just looking to spice this rifle up or maybe start a running project. Thanks!

Had one of those years ago in the same stock. Was in 7mm Magnum. Numrich carried the magazine with attached parts at that time so I got a spare magazine, spring and button from them. Took a Savage wood stock and worked with a Dremel tool to make the side button release work. Was a lot of work but finally got it to work. The accuracy with that rifle was really impressive with reloads in either stock. Boyd's sounds like a good idea.

Basic Member
    You shouldn't have to mill anything, the receivers were the same for all long action calibers. Your biggest obstacle will be finding a magazine.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    You shouldn't have to mill anything, the receivers were the same for all long action calibers. Your biggest obstacle will be finding a magazine.
    I just stated looking and have't found anything yet. Would it be possible to do a 300 PRC or is the bolt face too big? Saw it was based off .416 Rigby?

the receivers were the same for all long action calibers
    Always thought they were also.

If ya need another magazine Numrich...gunpartscorp still has one.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1401540E

I have an old weather warrior (116FLCSAK) in 30-06 that wears that very same synthetic stock and has put 10 rounds of handloaded Sierra Game Kings back to back into .446
    Here's my $.02 those old dual pillar bedded synthetics are some tough cookies and very functional despite "what the internet says". Easy enough to paint,modify length of pull and barrel channel as well to make em fit. Pretty sure the only differences you'd notice with a Boyds laminate are the "look" and not being able to torque the action screws anywhere near as tight without adding pillars or a bedding block.
    As far as accuracy and performance of any rifle in proper working order, The most cost effective, biggest improvement for the least cash is going to be a handloading starter kit every single time, and it can be used to improve multiple centerfire rifles. It's an interesting project every time you use it. Control virtually every aspect of performance from velocity, bullet construction and weight to recoil etc. Tune the load to the rifle watch the groups shrink.
    Good luck and have fun with your project and whatever direction you decide to take it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I have an old weather warrior (116FLCSAK) in 30-06 that wears that very same synthetic stock
    Same here. Mine was in 7mm mag. Very accurate even in the synthetic stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoey View Post
    I just stated looking and have't found anything yet. Would it be possible to do a 300 PRC or is the bolt face too big? Saw it was based off .416 Rigby?
    Not all long action actions are the same. LAs that are center feed have the maximal amount of clearance at a hair over 3.750" COAL. Staggered feed LAs have the same bolt travel but the receiver opening is shorter at the back.

Further the 300prc uses the same 0.532" rim diameter most win mags use. Basically any ole magnum bolt head will work.

CDI precision here in sarasota supplies bottom metal for nearly all savage rifles and will even install the metal and inlet your stock free of charge.

I know all this due to building my own 300PRC

The COAL of the 300PRC is an honest 3.700" hornady precision match factory loading using 225 grain pills are 3.685" coal with the projectile 0.010" off of the lands. CIP 338 lapua mags are a must.

The mags might need modifications by CDI to get the long, fat cartridges to feed using a push feed mechanism ince i do NOT want to do a controlled feed setup...lol

Basic Member
    The biggest problem I have with the rifle is that it's just bulky feeling. It has always been accurate, but it's heavy and not too much fun to carry. I'm probably going to do some "destination hunting" in 2019 where I'll be several hours from home. I've thought about keeping this rifle as is, adding a scope and maybe adjusting the trigger a bit. I was thinking of adding a second .30-06 to my collection so I could use my old 111 as a back-up to a slimmer, newer '06. I really am interested in the new 110 with the accufit stock. I'm just not sure I want to run a .30-06 in a basically magnum length action. The lightweight hunter really caught my eye but they offer it in .270 and not .30-06.... Don't understand why.

Basic Member
    Are Savage barrels able to be fluted after manufacture? I've looked into Long Rifles Inc. fluting the barrel to save some weight. I've also read that fluting the barrel after production can sometimes create new stress points in the barrel. I also read that certain types of barrels, especially button rifled barrel are less prone to this because they are stress relieved before and after boring? For $200 I could have the barrel and bolt fluted. Seems like it could shave 10-13 oz off the rifle.

Also, can I replace the old style ugly barrel nut with one of the new sleeker looking ones?