Thread: 20 inch barrel lightweight storm

Banned

20 inch barrel lightweight storm

With a 20 inch barrel which would be better for deer 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08

Basic Member
    That's your choice.
    Both will do the job
    If you do not reload, the 6.5 will probably have more bullet choices due to the popularity of the cartrige.
    Jack

Basic Member
    What distance will you be shooting?

.._

Basic Member
    7-08 is a well-documented deer slayer. Ability to shoot larger pills than the 6.5 (I run 162's), which may be an advantage at shorter ranges.
    Recoil is a tad more than the 6.5, no big deal...

Being a fan of 7mm, (own a 7-08, and a .260) I'd go with the 7-08.

Basic Member
    I have 2 6.5 Creedmoors and absolutely love them. I have only taken one deer with one, but it did well enough.
    I am a big 7mm Fan. I have a 7mm Rem Mag (Browning), 280AI (Kimber), and a 7mm Mauser 111 Long Range Hunter that I made from a 7mm Mag. I also used to have an Axis in 7mm-08 that I gave to a buddy of mine so his son could hunt.

Between the two I really like the 7mm-08, but I reload my own and I think that gives the 7mm-08 a better round than what is commercially available. If I didn't reload, I think the 6.5 Creedmoor has a fantastic box round in the 143 grain ELD-X "Precision Hunter". It is so good that even though I like a 7mm better that I will call it a draw. :)

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    It is so good that even though I like a 7mm better that I will call it a draw. :)
    Am also a 7mm fan, have and load for 7-08/280R/7RM as well as 6.5CM, and I echo the draw.

Basic Member
    The 6.5 CM is a very popular cartridge because it is all the rage for paper punching. In the hunting world I don't see much advantage to it over the .260 Rem. The Remington is faster and will launch 140s the same as the 6.5 CM. I've been mulling over this short action cartridge debate for myself for over a year. I think you're probably best off skipping both (though the 6.5 CM is getting A LOT of factory support) and just going with a .308 Win. Sure, the 6.5 and 7-08 have better downrange ballistics, but at hunting distances the .308 Win will perform just fine and you can find ammo for it everywhere in a pinch if you need to. I am starting to see some 6.5 CM popping up in Walmart (which is my availability test) so availability may become a moot point in the future. In 2015 I bought a new 20in Ruger Hawkeye Ultralight. I debated between .243 and 7-08. I went with .243 due to availability and because I wasn't set up to reload.

There is an article about 6.5CM barrel length https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5...p-a-creedmoor/ That is an interesting read.

I think a .308 is better in a short barrel, but the 6.5 doesn't do badly either. 6.5CM, 7-08, .308 all of those are going to drop anything on North America that you point it at. If this is a dedicated deer rifle and you reload, you could look at the 6.5 CM and 100gr TTSX. That looks like a lethal low recoil combination.

Team Savage

True, but his question was between the 6.5CM and 7-08, and between those two with 20" barrels for deer, the answer really is neither as they are, for all practical purposes, ballistic equals for that intended use.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    True, but his question was between the 6.5CM and 7-08, and between those two with 20" barrels for deer, the answer really is neither as they are, for all practical purposes, ballistic equals for that intended use.
    thanks, people always get off topic on this and all other forums

Basic Member
    I have three 6.5 creeds, 3 260s, and had one 7mm-08.
    Don't get me wrong, love my creeds but on purely a mechanical basis with Savage rifles the slightly longer 260 and 7mm-08 cases based on the 308 seem to have an edge with less extraction/ejection problems. I base this on my experience and what has been published in this forum. There may be more 6.5s out there than 7mm-08 savages (which might skew my observation) but the shorter case seems to drop upon extraction before ejection more often. There are several remedies and options to help correct when there are problems.
    Maybe one thing to consider. Other than that either caliber will fill your needs, a total toss up.

Basic Member
    I will provide my opinion, for what it is worth, which is nothing. I would opt for the 7mm-08 just because it can shoot a bigger bullet, which can't hurt for hunting. I don't own a 7mm-08 though, so no firsthand experience. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor target rifle, but don't hunt. If you were target shooting I would recommend the Creedmoor. I would opt for .308 personally, but you did not ask about it. Creedmoor would work though. I used to shoot deer with a .243 and it always killed them.

Basic Member
    My Model 16 in 6.5cm LWH with the 20" barrel imo is the perfect hunting rifle super accurate light weight and is great on deer or even some larger game. I do hand load for it so I'm getting all I can out of it.