Thread: Savage Model 12 with no letters in .223

Basic Member

Savage Model 12 with no letters in .223

I'm not sure where to post this question since there is no forum for the Model 12. I'm looking at trading for a Model 12. I see most model 12's have letters after the model number designating different features on the guns. But this model 12 just has Model 12 223 Rem on the barrel. It has the heavy barrel on it. I was just wondering why it didn't have any letters in the model number ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

First, the Model 12 falls under the 110-Series as do all of the following two and three digit model #'s: 10/11/12/14/16/110/111/112/114/116/Stevens 200. This is because they are all based around the same action design.

As for the absence of any letters after the model # on the roll stamp, that's normal and is the norm going clear back to the early/mid 1960's. The letters after the model number simply identify features of the rifle as it was built from the factory. For example, on a Model 12 BVSS the B = laminate stock, V = heavy varmint barrel contour, SS = Stainless Steel.

The system was complex and confusing, and over the years certain letters could mean different things as Savage didn't stay true to their own key-code. As such they're now moving away from it and we're seeing them give new models actual names (i.e. 110 Wolverine and 110 Storm) rather than the old alphabet soup treatment.

Since the picture shows the rifle is blued and not stainless steel, and it's a Model 12, that guarantee's it started life as a 12 FV (blind magazine) or 12 FCV (detachable box magazine) - basically the same model, they just switched from using a blind mag to a DBM on them a few years ago. Looks to be a Boyds AT-One stock on it as well, which would lead me to say it's used.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Worst case scenario you can spin off that barrel, and put a new stock savage barrel you might buy off this forum. Or a new match barrel from one of the many manufactures. I have a stock Savage model 12FV in 223 that shoots TINY groups with the 53 grain V-Max. Incidentally the (9) roll stamped into the barrel indicates a 1/9 twist barrel, good for shooting up to and possibly including 75 gr bullets, depends. 50 to 69 grain bullets will shoot very well out of a 9 twist.

Do you know the round count? If less than 4000 you're probably good to go.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock5857 View Post
    I'm not sure where to post this question since there is no forum for the Model 12. I'm looking at trading for a Model 12. I see most model 12's have letters after the model number designating different features on the guns. But this model 12 just has Model 12 223 Rem on the barrel. It has the heavy barrel on it. I was just wondering why it didn't have any letters in the model number ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The numbers on question should be on the action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dschuetz68 View Post
    The numbers on question should be on the action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No.

Only thing on the actions is the serial number.

Basic Member
    That is consistent with my 12 BVSS. It has Model 12 on the barrel with the caliber. Nothing else.