Thread: Converted Savage 11 Hog Hunter to 6.8 SPC , feeding issue questions

Converted Savage 11 Hog Hunter to 6.8 SPC , feeding issue questions

Howdy and good day!
    I pulled the trigger ( so to speak ) on my first Savage barrel swap. I replaced my .308 Hog Hunter barrel with a 6.8 SPC. All went smooth and I carefully followed all instructions and had proper tools and gauges. I decided I needed a new stock and purchased a M40 Style Bell & Carlson with alum. bedding. ( very heavy , unfortunately ) with detachable magazine provision. I added Accurate-Mag Bottom Metal and 5 & 10 round mags. Topped with a Redfield Revenge 3-9 X 40 .

Shoots excellent , feels good, I think it looks good. Does not feed worth a darn, basically a single shot. I have worked on the plastic lips ( AM Mags have a plastic insert liner ) as directed by Accurate-Mag with minimal success. I am considering going back to original tupperware stock and seeing if I can bend the .308 feedlips to feed better.

Whewwwwww , long and boring story I know! HAS anyone ever had any succes or experience with magazine lip adjustment on Savage factory blind mags?
    Thank you for any help you may provide.
    Andy

Basic Member
    I have a hog hunter in .308... When I first function tested the rifle I too had feeding issues. Rounds liked to jump out or double feed, I had to tweak the magazine lip in the mid section to be a bit tighter. Once that was done I have not had anymore issues.

by slowly cycling your action with a decent dummy round you should be able to see what the problem is and recognize if it needs to be loosened or tightened and where on the magazine this needs to happen at.

you have a lot of modifications done to your rifle but this is where you should start... if you still have issues come back and tell us what exactly it’s doing as you feed the round.

I apologize for asking the obvious - but dd you replace the bolt head?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

HAS anyone ever had any success or experience with magazine lip adjustment on Savage factory blind mags?
    Yep. Did one this summer. Have a Savage long action stagger feed, blind mag, that was originally for 7mm mag. Put a heavy barrel 6.5CM on it and used as a single shot. Got tired of that and wondered if I could make it feed the CM loads. Took a wooden block the magazine and a vise . Put the block on the base of mag, placed it horizontally in the vise and SLOWLY tightened up the vise. Squeezed the lips down a wee bit at a time. Worked great! At 2.810 OAL the 6.5 CM is long enough to feed flawlessly.

Just a guess because of a similar experience with a B&C medalist on a BDL floorplate type Remington 700 SPS VSF, but I'm guessing that the bottom metal is not sitting up far enough into the B&C stock. This could be keeping the mag from sitting close enough to the action to allow the bolt to pick up the round and the bolt may be simply passing over top of the cartridge. If so you may have to relieve a little material at a time between the stock and bottom metal and test fit until you get it to fit just right.
    Pretty sure the manufacturer does this because relieving material to make em fit is easier and cleaner than trying to add material.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.