Thread: Problem with my Savage 29b

Problem with my Savage 29b

Took my Savage 29b out for some plinking today. The gun began to fail to fire rounds randomly. I was using some high velocity lead bullet ammo. Thinking that maybe the gun didn't care for that flavor, I switched to some Remington brass plated hollow points but had the same result. Failure to fire on random rounds.

I ran the unfired rounds through my Remington 12c and they worked fine so it's not an ammo problem.

When I got home I broke the gun down and pulled the bolt. It appeared clean and the firing pin appeared to be moving freely. The pin does not appear to be damaged. Since I couldn't find any videos on breaking down the bolt further, I wasn't bold enough to do so.

I saturated the bolt with Hoppes #9 and will leave it overnight hoping the culprit is some tiny piece of crude but as I said, the bolt appeared to be very clean.

Anybody have any suggestions?vvv

Thanks!

Had the exact same problem several years back on my Dad's 1937 model 29. Although the firing pin looked ok to me, it was obvious by looking at the cartridge head that the pin wasn't striking the case with enough force. I ordered a new pin and spring, and that fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

I see Densmark did mention the spring of the firing pin but it might be the mainspring as well.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    I recently had someone with the same issues with a 29-B contact me. I had never really did a close examination of most of my 29-A's & B's before, I did have a couple well used examples that I found problems with. Try shooting the gun while holding the forearm full forward and see if that helps stop the miss-fires, that is what was happening with the gun I was asked about, my only thoughts were there was a head space problem and the bolt was not always tight to the head of the cartridge and having the fore arm full forward held the bolt forward on the cartridge.

I used to think shooting modern Hi-Velocity ammunition was OK in the 29-A & B but have changed my mind on that after looking closely at more of them. I can see issues with the locking surfaces in more than just the old well used examples I had noticed before. I even have a really high condition 29-B that shows damage to surfaces which could affect the head space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
    I recently had someone with the same issues with a 29-B contact me. I had never really did a close examination of most of my 29-A's & B's before, I did have a couple well used examples that I found problems with. Try shooting the gun while holding the forearm full forward and see if that helps stop the miss-fires, that is what was happening with the gun I was asked about, my only thoughts were there was a head space problem and the bolt was not always tight to the head of the cartridge and having the fore arm full forward held the bolt forward on the cartridge.

I used to think shooting modern Hi-Velocity ammunition was OK in the 29-A & B but have changed my mind on that after looking closely at more of them. I can see issues with the locking surfaces in more than just the old well used examples I had noticed before. I even have a really high condition 29-B that shows damage to surfaces which could affect the head space.
    Thank you Sir! I'll pay close attention to the position of the forend next time I shoot it and will report back.

I am looking to resolve a problem with my 29B as well. The Screw that holds in the Operating lock broke. I drilled it out and need to replace it but want to chase the threads first. Does anyone know what the threads are (so I can buy a tap) for the Operating lock spring screw? It is a #3-48? That is the best I can come up with using calipers and a thread pitch gauge.

JadeBriJedi, I answered in your other post about this. Numerich has a lot of parts for the Savage Model 29B. Maybe if you call them they could help with your question.