Thread: Savage Axis .308 Scope Question

Savage Axis .308 Scope Question

Hi all,

i have a Savage Axis chambered in .308. It has a Bushnell 3x9 that was on it as part of the package. I recently went to the range ahead of hunting season and my scope really bothers me. I started shooting other rifles, and AR’s. I don’t know if it’s mounted wrong for me or if my shooting style has changed, but I feel like I’m searching for the scope everytime I bring it up to shoulder.

Now I realize I could have the scope adjusted and remounted to my comforts, but I figure I’ll take the opportunity to upgrade. I’ve been looking recently and really am liking the vortex scopes, but another type of optic have caught my eye. The Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism, and a Juliet4x. Am I crazy to consider putting a “red dot” on a bolt action deer hunting rifle such as an axis 308? I figure it adds some features of a red dot but comes with 3 or 4x magnification, which is all I’ll typically use hunting. Just looking for opinions and suggestions.

Im no gun expert so any technical advice or optic advice you guys can provide would be awesome.

thanks!

Take it for what its worth.... But I would look at Leupold way before Vortex... If you take a look through this site, you will find a vast amount of threads about the failings of Vortex scopes. Particularly anything below the PST line.

As far as red dot goes, that's up to you and where/what kind of hunting you do. I live in OR and the hunting we do here is mostly thick timber with the occasional longer shot up to about 200 yards. I use a Savage 111 in 30-06 with a Leupold VX-2 (4-12x40) and find it to be perfect for either application.

Just my .02

Basic Member
    If you can hit with it then who cares what the sighting mechanism is? I personally don't like reflective red dots as the dot is a blurry mess. But I do like prism dots where the reticle is etched onto the glass. And that way if the battery/electronics goes out you still have a black dot.

Basic Member
    I would ditch the bases if you have not already done so,and replace them with a rail because the spacing on the two piece is too far to accommodate a lot of scopes,and even if one has a long enough tube you probably won't have enough space to position it exactly were you want..Some sort of lace on cheek.pad with a higher comb.may help.as well.I would just stick with a conventional scope,of the non Chinese. variety.

Welcome.

Stock fit may be the problem if the scope isn't coming up to your eye properly. Close your eyes and bring the rifle up to your shoulder as for a shot and then open your eyes. You may have to change something if it is way off line. Ring height or add a cheek pad.

As far as a red-dot. I've taken around 45 whitetail and one fallow deer and the average distance is around 35 yards. The answer would depend on your hunting needs and conditions. If you hunt on foot in the woods that's a different need than from a stand on the edge of a field.

I have no qualms about stretching out a shot . . . but once deer season starts it seems that the deer hereabouts have other things to do than spend time standing out in open fields during daylight.

Personally I am a fan of the Nikon Prostaff and Monarch series for good glass at a price. I also like the BDC reticle for hunting.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Am I crazy to consider putting a “red dot” on a bolt action deer hunting rifle such as an axis 308?
    Lol. Trijicon would say "NO...not crazy at all...great idea." Just got an Axis in 6.5CM...was the package deal also. Did what I always do to an Axis. Take the bases off, put on an EGW one piece and add a Leupold 4-12x50mm. Good to go! Be careful if you take off the OEM bases the torx screws are soft and will strip out readily.

Basic Member
    Bomber,
    You didn't say whether the scope seemed to be mounted too low or too high or too far forward or backward.
    Changing rings and ring height or scope mounts would be reasonable if the scope was mounted too high or too low, but it wouldn't help if it was too far forward or backward.
    You can easily move the scope forward or backward with the current mounts to get the proper eye relief by loosening up the screws holding the scope to the rings.

I assume that the Axis stock is a hunting stock and may have a low comb.
    That might create a different cheek rest position than a target stock and would feel uncomfortable if you were used to shooting with a higher comb.

Also, in my years as a range safety officer, I have observed that when hunters sight-in their rifles on a bench, they tend not to set up in a position similar to what they would use when in the field.
    They generally hunch over and lean forward at an angle instead of being more perpendicular to the line of sight as they are when standing.
    All of those things make it difficult to get a comfortable set-up and would severely change a shooter's position behind the scope.
    Just some thoughts to help you figure out what might be causing your problems before you spend lots of money on changing stuff that you might not need.

You also didn't say if the problem came with the scope power set to 3X or 9X.
    My grandkids had problems finding the scope image when they started on high power because the higher the power, the more you have to be in line with the center line of the optic.
    Starting on the lowest power helped them get comfortable and after a while, I adjusted the power up and they had no problem.
    Not saying that you are in that mode, just saying that finding the right position with a new scope can sometimes be difficult and using the lowest power might help.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Take it for what its worth.... But I would look at Leupold way before Vortex... If you take a look through this site, you will find a vast amount of threads about the failings of Vortex scopes. Particularly anything below the PST line.

As far as red dot goes, that's up to you and where/what kind of hunting you do. I live in OR and the hunting we do here is mostly thick timber with the occasional longer shot up to about 200 yards. I use a Savage 111 in 30-06 with a Leupold VX-2 (4-12x40) and find it to be perfect for either application.

Just my .02
    Do a Google search and you will find the new Leupolds are not all that. They are failing left and right. Not saying Vortex is the shiznit but Leupolds are no longer all that either.

Here is 14 pages of reading on the subject:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/2528606/2
    Jester

Just my .02
    Regarding the red-dot, if your shots are always going to be inside of 200 yards or so I don't see why it would be a problem. Deer hunters here in the mid-west have been putting them on their slug guns for decades and continue to kill plenty of deer with them year after year.

That said you should really look at the fitment of your rifle no matter what direction you take with the optics. For most people the factory stock has too much drop at comb causing them to have to lift their head off the stock a little to get proper eye alignment with the scope which results in an inconsistent cheek weld. The taller the mounts, the worse it gets. A strap-on cheek pad or riser will resolve this. Even a spandex cartridge holder for the buttstock will work, just add something under it on the top to raise the comb (foam sheets can be purchased at Hobby Lobby and cut into strips for this. Fore and aft adjustment for eye-relief is typically an easy fix by just sliding the scope forward or back a little in the rings.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    Do a Google search and you will find the new Leupolds are not all that. They are failing left and right. Not saying Vortex is the shiznit but Leupolds are no longer all that either.
    to be honest, nothing is as good as it used to be... LOL I have heard that Leupold isn't quite as good as it used to be, but I've had way better luck with them... then with Vortex. Hell, a Bushnell trophy hunter is probably better than a Vortex (at least anything below the Razor level)... It's a crap shoot pretty much, no matter which optic you go with (except Night Force maybe).

Mr. Baker,

Not sure if you clicked on the wrong "quote" or not, but not quite sure what/why you are talking red-dot with me??? I'm perfectly setup IMO on my hunting rifle as I have a scope that will serve either condition I hunt in. Thanks though...

As long as I don’t go lower than the trophy series for bushnell I am okay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    Also, in my years as a range safety officer, I have observed that when hunters sight-in their rifles on a bench, they tend not to set up in a position similar to what they would use when in the field.
    They generally hunch over and lean forward at an angle instead of being more perpendicular to the line of sight as they are when standing.
    All of those things make it difficult to get a comfortable set-up and would severely change a shooter's position behind the scope.
    Just some thoughts to help you figure out what might be causing your problems before you spend lots of money on changing stuff that you might not need.

You also didn't say if the problem came with the scope power set to 3X or 9X.
    My grandkids had problems finding the scope image when they started on high power because the higher the power, the more you have to be in line with the center line of the optic.
    Starting on the lowest power helped them get comfortable and after a while, I adjusted the power up and they had no problem.
    Not saying that you are in that mode, just saying that finding the right position with a new scope can sometimes be difficult and using the lowest power might help.
    Good post/observation. I also note that a lot of shooters sight-in during the summer and then have issues when bundled up in a heavy coat and wearing gloves. You can easily add 3/4" of LOP with a thick coat.

Also note that the safety on the M11/111 is tough to disengage with thick gloves (at least for me). I have to take my hand out of position to move it. Hasn't been a problem but I knew before it was because I had tried in practice.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

to be honest, nothing is as good as it used to be... LOL I have heard that Leupold isn't quite as good as it used to be, but I've had way better luck with them... then with Vortex. Hell, a Bushnell trophy hunter is probably better than a Vortex (at least anything below the Razor level)... It's a crap shoot pretty much, no matter which optic you go with (except Night Force maybe).

I have no issues with my Vortex but it is on a 22lr. Just about anything will stand up to a rimfire. However, it tracks perfectly. Has sharp clicks and 1 moa is 1 moa. Very clear and bright. What more can you ask for??

Never had a Bushnell do any of that. Got a Trophy Hunter on my 10/22. Got it sighted in finally, clicks were all over the place, and not moved it since. I don't think, almost certain, that it wouldn't stand up to or hold zero on my .300 WM.

Scopes are like women, we all have a certain kind we like to fondle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Jester