Thread: left/right hand shooters??

Team Savage

left/right hand shooters??

Thought it best to start a new thread. May have mentioned this before.
    I'am right handed but thought it would be fun to see about shooting a left hand rifle right handed. Picked up a Model 12 lefty repeater action from NSS quite a while back, when they were available, had the T & T job done by SSS, added a SSS single shot adaptor then added a Tactical bolt handle for a little extra leverage. Picked up a "ambi" stock to see how it felt shooting right handed? Felt natural so I ordered up a Richards Micro-Fit Laminated right hand bench rest thumb hole stock with a 3" forearm in a color I could match if needed. (they don't understand "left hand" but that's another story for later)
    Plugged the right hand bolt handle cut, matched the plug color and re cut it on the left side.
    Added a Whidden V Block and bolted up the lefty action. From the bench using front rest and bags, right hand stays in the thumb hole while my free left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo. l LOVE IT!! Kinda hard and feels out of place to go back to shooting my right hand rigs. Have to remove my right hand from the thumb hole to work the bolt.
    Come to find out, there are a few bench rest shooters that shoot lefty rifles right handed.

I'd have to look again but I think it's got a 26" "20 TCM" Wildcat straight pipe in it now. It can be anything I want.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

As a lefty I don't mind shooting a RH rifle from the bench as it does work out well. You get to keep your trigger hand on the grip and work the bolt/load with your off-hand and you can see right into the action if you have to pluck out a piece of brass that didn't extract/eject cleanly. That's the only time I don't might shooting a RH bolt gun though as out in the field where a quick follow-up shot may be needed it's far less convenient.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I'm finally at a point in my life where I can afford a lefty rifle. Savage was one of the few makers that had a good offering for lefties, and boy am I glad I did..

I shoot with people that spend $$$$ on custom rifles, and I can shoot as well as they can at half the price!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    I'm finally at a point in my life where I can afford a lefty rifle. Savage was one of the few makers that had a good offering for lefties, and boy am I glad I did..

I shoot with people that spend $$$$ on custom rifles, and I can shoot as well as they can at half the price!
    They have been making them that way for about 60 years, and they can also be used for building a (good) custom rifle. lol
    From a bench single feeding at targets, it's no real disadvantage to use the opposite bolt and even some advantage as mentioned.
    There is at least some disadvantage when hunting from a bench due to losing the target in order to operate the bolt, if it moves off it can at times be very hard to find it again due to trees and such. Best to be in no rush after a shot until your pretty certain you have the time to reload.
    We use left/right thumbhole stocks on our bench guns used for hunting.
    Just a bigger hole with the stock shaped the same on both sides.
    Not as easy to do with the smaller conventional hunting type stocks due to lack of wood.

Basic Member
    I am one of the odd balls as I am actually right handed, but shoot left handed. It was not done by choice, but by necessity.
    To keep a long story short, I suffered a injury to my right eye around 15 years ago that left me with a small blurry spot in the center of the vision of my right eye. As long as I have both eyes open I do not see it and it does not effect me at all. The only time it comes into play is if I close my left eye and try to look with just my right (such as aiming a gun). So I had to learn how to shoot left handed, as I did not have a choice.
    Shooting pistols is no big deal as I can still hold them right handed and just aim with my left eye.
    99% of all the shooting I do is off a bench (the other 1% is pistol shooting). I rarely shoot offhand, so shooting right hand guns left handed does not bother me at all.

Basic Member
    Unlike many of you guys, my rifle inventory is s basically non-existent. But I have fired shotguns that are all right handed. I'm at the stage right now where I refuse to spend good money on a gun that's either not ambidextrous or designed for lefties. Unfortunately, this greatly limits what's available for me.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I am one of the odd balls as I am actually right handed, but shoot left handed. It was not done by choice, but by necessity.
    To keep a long story short, I suffered a injury to my right eye around 15 years ago that left me with a small blurry spot in the center of the vision of my right eye. As long as I have both eyes open I do not see it and it does not effect me at all. The only time it comes into play is if I close my left eye and try to look with just my right (such as aiming a gun). So I had to learn how to shoot left handed, as I did not have a choice.
    Shooting pistols is no big deal as I can still hold them right handed and just aim with my left eye.
    99% of all the shooting I do is off a bench (the other 1% is pistol shooting). I rarely shoot offhand, so shooting right hand guns left handed does not bother me at all.
    Just like you, I'm a lefty, shoot rifle left, but pistol right handed, left eye dominant. I always get abused until we shoot for score... I used to hunt for dinner....

Not really a LH vs RH gun comment but more to the shooter. Everyone needs to practice from both sides of their chosen platform from pistol to rifle.

I have killed quite a few critters shooting left handed that I never would have had a shot at shooting my natural right handed shot.
    Jester