Thread: Rounded over sear?

Rounded over sear?

Anyone here ever run into a sear that got 'rounded over' somehow? It came up in a conversation a while back and I've never seen it myself.

Thanks

Monte

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Rounded over at what point? Where the trigger engages, or where it engages the cocking piece?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

To be honest Fred, I am not sure. I guessing the trigger area.

It came up in discussion with a friend of mine who is a fairly high level FTR shooter and still has a Savage or two kicking around. It was one of those wide-ranging discussions, back at the hotel after the match... I *think* the context was getting a RB Sav2 trigger to behave reliably at low pull weights. He maintained that he'd found the factory sear had gotten rounded over and was contributing to the problem.

I typically run my target AT somewhere around 8-10 oz, not down in the ~4-6 oz realm like the guys running the 'cool' triggers so I didn't know if that was why I'd never noticed a problem...?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Maybe too much work with a stone and he took the surface hardness out of it and it rolled over?

Fred, when you did your evolution trigger, did you bush the holes the sear rotates in? I think that is the biggest weakness in the Savage trigger.
    Hope you and Lisa are well.

Bill

Basic Member
    Many people are under the impression that the sears are only case hardened.....that's not the case, they are hard all the way through. I have never seen one that wore to the point it was "rounded". The target sears (6 oz version) actually have a slightly shallower engagement angle, and may look like they are rounded to the naked eye. This version relies on return spring pressure to keep it engaged, as it has negative engagement.

One thing I have noticed is the RB sav-2 triggers seem to be inconsistent from unit to unit, as I've had some that worked well with little work and some that needed a lot of fitting and tweaking to work at all. I'd blame most of that on castings and a wide tolerance of geometry.

Bushing the sear makes no improvement, I done that once and it was very hard to do. A good trigger pull is affected by more that just the trigger itself. Other factors that lead up to it are the tolerance of all the stamped components, locations of the pivot pin holes and machine cuts and variance of the all the springs involved, including the firing pin spring. Keeping the geometry consistent is hard when so many components are involved.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Awesome! Thanks for the info, Fred

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

In response to the OP. Someone probably took a hone to it and went overboard in attempt to get it to break at a lower poundage.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.