Thread: Axis Hardwood long vs short action

Axis Hardwood long vs short action

Not an Axis owner, just looking. It looks like converting long to short action in a synthetic factory axis stock is as simple as a new trigger guard and mag among other changes to the bolt and barrel. Is it the same with the factory hardwood stocks or are they milled differently for the long and short action mags?

Basic Member
    I am not sure about the hardwood stock, but yes you can change from short to long action calibers by changing mag and barrel. I have one that started as a 243 then to a 270 and back to 22-250, changed mag, trigger guard and barrels. Set the headspace and shot, will probably change to 30-06 before deer season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    My .223 Axis hardwood has the same action as my synthetic ones. And they all look long enough to be both LA/SA. Quite a bit longer than my SA 12's.

Basic Member
    The hardwood stocks are dedicated for magazine length.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thanks, That was the answer I was looking for. Others seemed more up to my personal level of active listening, at least as far as my wife is concerned.

I want the hardwood for the stiffness compared to the synthetic. I don't want to drop 200$ into a $400 rifle for a new stock, but the versatility is intriguing to me. Considering that I may want a long action cartridge in the future. But the .308 will do most anything I'd ever need it to. So it will be a need v want debate in the future as well as a how many guns do you need lecture.

Basic Member
    The stocks are made by Boyd's but they are not the laminate version. It's machined from a solid piece of wood and mine came with steel pillars installed. The stock recoil pad is worthless and won't provide any relief for a stout cartridge. Still a ton better than the plastic junk.... I also drilled out the butt on mine to shave 1/2lb of weight.

Basic Member
    Boyd's makes their stocks different for SA and LA in the Axis. You can call them and ask.

I specifically got a Boyd's Pro Varmint cause I wanted more weight.

If you just want a shooter then the factory plastic stock can be made heavier and stiffer without much trouble.