Finally got a MSR10 in for review late last week and was able to get out to the range on Saturday to get the scope dialed in. Didn't do a bunch of shooting, but probably 50-60 rounds total. Anyway, thought I'd share my initial thoughts on the rifle...

1. Very light weight. Savage claims 7.8lbs for the Hunter model in .308, and with my Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 scope in ADM quick release mount and a full mag it's right at 11 lbs.

2. Grip, stock and forearm are all very comfortable and no complaints.

3. Initial accuracy with AE Varmint & Predator 130gr JHP ammo is more than acceptable with 1 to 1.5" groups at 100 yards and no problem ringing steel at 200 (well, other than the smallest one - but I'm just ballparking the hold-over at this point from my 100yd zero)

4. Heavy buffer spring makes charging the rifle a little difficult with scope mounted; definitely needs something like a Badger Tac Latch or the like to make it easier to work the charging handle when scoped. Long-Range and Competition models have the side-charging handle so it's not as much of an issue on them.

5. Reach to the trigger is noticeably short - a side-effect of Savage's proprietary receiver design that shortens them up by about 3/4". Some of this can be made up by changing out the grip and I will go into more detail on this in the full article.

6. Savage needs to supply either a 3" rail section or a bipod adapter with the rifle for the M-LOK forearm. While the forearm is octagonal in shape with a fairly flat bottom, the corners are very rounded and each of the 8 sides is pretty narrow so you don't get much contact area. As a result, when shooting off a rest or bag you experience a lot of barrel torque which makes shooting accurately much more difficult. The .308 is a 1:10 twist - I can just imagine how much worse it is on a 1:8" twist 6.5 Creedmoor. Suffice to say I have Magpul bipod adapter ordered.

7. The proprietary muzzle brake does a really good job of minimizing muzzle jump, but like most brakes it's obnoxiously loud.

8. Tuning the gas system for a given type of ammunition is easy-peasy with a small diameter hex wrench or screwdriver (a loaded round would also work if it's a pointy tipped bullet)

9. No feeding, extracting or ejection issues so far - gun has run flawlessly right out of the box.

10. Single-stage Blackhawk Trigger is very consistent and perfect for a hunting rifle with a 5-pull average of 3.1 lbs. It does have a little take-up and just a hint of creep, but it's worlds better than a standard mil-spec trigger.