Thread: 1921 Transitional G model?

1921 Transitional G model?

Hello all, This is my first post so please excuse any ignorance in my questions.

Awhile ago I acquired a wonderful savage 99 that has lead to many hours of research (which is part of the fun). First I am not a collector but more of an accumulator. I was able to pick this beauty up when I won a club raffle and exchanged the firearm I won plus a few Benjamin's. I believe the gun to be an early G model Take-down (sn. 237XXX circa 1921), here are some particulars,

• 24" thin profile barrel (tapers to 0.56" at muzzle)
    • integral ramped front site with a antique "dentine like material" front bead
    • manufacture by Savage Arms Corp Utica USA above 5 patent dates with the last being June 1 1909
    • marbles fold down rear sight
    • Hi-Pressure Steel and 300 Savage on left side of barrel in front of the receiver
    • "Savage 1899 Model" on top of the receiver
    • jeweled bolt
    • lyman 1a receiver/tang sight
    • pistol grip stock with a non-logoed steel butt plate and a non-metallic black grip cap with a white spacer (the material I think is ebony? I don't believe its plastic).

The wood is absolutely beautiful certainty a step above average, but the butt stock is not checkered (this is where confusion comes in). There is a mark in front of the lever that MAYBE a stylized g?.

I apologies for no pictures, I have several on the computer but could not figure how to post (please help I'd love to share),so....

Are transitional models common?

Why no checkering on butt stock? (I don't believe its a replacement do to fit and wood and wear matches fore-grip) I have additional thoughts on this.

Do the extras like the marbles fold down rear sight and lyman sight add interest and value?

Would anyone take a guesstament of of value if say 90%?

Thanks Mark
    Last edited by J.Baker; 03-06-2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: made this a little easier to read

Basic Member
    You have a light weight barrel as the medium weight barrels are around .65 at the muzzle. From David Royal's book you should have a Model 1899A (26" round barrel). Your barrel stamping places it between 1919 and 1926. Check online for your model's sale prices. Most of the 1899s didn't come with a pistol grip stock.

Basic Member
    My 1922G (244xxx) has the same barrel markings and the same .56 end diameter. Were all breakdown's lightweight barrels?

Basic Member
    Some 1899 takedowns had the light weight barrel as did some of the 99s. In about 1926 the takedowns went to a medium weight barrel

Mackey, yes you have a model 99G. I know it's stamped 1899 but it's a 99 and yes lots of 99's came with pistol grip stocks.

Yours was one of the first G's off the line, the first 99G was actually 236460 so yours was really close.
    Savage- "never say never".