Thread: Random question of the day...

Random question of the day...

Was sitting around talking to a friend today about guns and the question of "What mass production guns being made today will be the sought after collector guns 75-100 years from now?" We both chewed on that one for a bit as most of the guns being made today are made to a price point and are produced by the tens and sometimes hundreds of thousands.

So what mass production guns from today do you think people will be chasing after in the future?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    The replicas and reproductions of the guns that were made 100 or more years ago. For example: the 1874 Sharps used in "Quigley Down Under". That gun was produced by Shiloh Sharps just prior to the the movie in 1990. Technically it is a re-production of the original Sharps, since it actually bears the name and is manufactured by Shiloh Sharps. At the time of manufacture, the gun was a custom one off and cost in the neighborhood of $1100. Sharp's today's price of a copy the very same rifle is 3x that. Other manufacturers (Pedersoli, Uberti, Chiappa,etc) who are making replicas, are getting almost 2/3 of that, even though they are made overseas and don't actually bear the famous name.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

We will be able to own guns in the future. God I hope you are right. Here you go Fred http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/u.../7#Post7306417
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Gonna try my best to not make this sound political, as it is not my intent and I do not want to turn the thread this way. If mods want to delete it feel free.
    However I could see pretty much any common gun today that might be banned in the future, but the existing ones are grandfathered in, they will pretty much double in price overnight and continue to climb in value. Much like the pre ban post ban of years past.
    Other than that, probably somewhat common, but higher end or custom shop guns made by the larger manufacturers.

Basic Member
    By and large id say none. And that is due largely to the type society we are becoming.
    Great Granddads model 70 is now worth more for it's individual parts than it is left intact.
    Art collections and serious collectors are a different issue.

From what I know about guns ALL OF THEM will be collectible and desirable in the future.

There will be Hi-Point collectors trying to find every variation. Those highly sought after Remington Semi-Auto pistols will have followers.

Look how many millions of silver quarters were minted prior to 1932 - and every one of them is sought by someone.

500,000 Krag-Jorgensen rifles were produced by Springfield Armory. I have one in "as issued" condition (with original sling) that my Grandpa got from DCM for $1.50

Worth more now.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage
    Maybe any factory "left hand" rifle? Try to find a "left hand" Savage rifle for sale. And if anybody would know, it would be you.

Nothing worse than watching a "lefty" having to reach across to work the bolt on a right hand rifle when he/she would be in hog heaven shooting a rifle that FIT!! And besides that, left handed people ARE in their right minds.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Maybe any factory "left hand" rifle? Try to find a "left hand" Savage rifle for sale. And if anybody would know, it would be you.

Nothing worse than watching a "lefty" having to reach across to work the bolt on a right hand rifle when he/she would be in hog heaven shooting a rifle that FIT!! And besides that, left handed people ARE in their right minds.
    I have way more right handed rifles than I do left handed rifles. I really do not have much any problem shooting them left handed.
    However both the savage rifles I own (which I also built) are both left handed actions. Why? Just because I could, and the left handed savage rifles are really not that hard to find.

There are myriads of great guns being produced so it's hard to say. Who would have thought any AK would be sought after. Today you can only get parts guns. I have some originals including a polytech legend which is already hard to come by. But I think top quality lever 1894s, 92s, and 73s will always be desirable as a part of American history. Perhaps Ruger Blackhawks? Of course the iconic 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Im of the opinion the question was in reference to modern production guns being made today.
    As in will my Axis become a saught after item for it's value as the old 99 is?
    Another question might be, would a licensed custom shop be successfull building reproduction early Savages?
    Grice gun shop in Clearfield PA claims to be the largest gun dealer in the state for gun sales.
    Every year they make a deal with Remington to build a reproduction modern gun for Grice sales only.
    Always a bit unusual as for cartridge, like a 700 in 257 Roberts. Last year they did a Rem pump including a carbine model in 35 rem and they needed several production runs to fill all the pre orders. Might have even been a 35 Whalen, but regardless it was an overwhelming success. People were calling in orders from around the country, with some buying several. So for sure there is a strong desire for at least certain guns.

This may bring laughs from some, but the Remington 11-87 compact 20 may just wind up being one such gun. I know they went into production in 09 and I'm pretty sure they're out of production now. Neat concept of a well proven design packaged as a sturdy light weight, light recoiling, gas operated semi auto shotgun in a rather mild chambering with adjustable stock spacers and a 21" barrel that takes rem chokes with youth and women as a primary consumers. They still seem to be currently available for a decent price, but as supply dries up I think such a gun will still have strong demand.

Off chamberings seem to historically have done well, after passing on some of the AMT offerings years ago like their 22mag and .30 carbine pistols that were known for their unreliabilty prices have soared.
    I'm thinking maybe the Kel tec PMR30 (.22mag) and maybe the Taurus tracker in .17HMR or the Taurus Raging Hornet in .22 Hornet may become valuable despite their questionable quality.
    I foresee other revolvers in auto pistol cartridge chamberings having potential as well.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    You have a lever on your Model 99? Oh, that's right, Savage built other models. Hope you find your "lefty".

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Great Granddads model 70 is now worth more for it's individual parts than it is left intact.
    Not just guns either as I have a muscle car that fits the same description. Crazy.

Basic Member
    Remington 870

semi auto hi-capacity anything. I think the single action pistols and lever rifles will fall as the guys that grew up with westerns pass. In time so will double action revolvers.

"being made to-day" Kimbers and Ruger#1's. Rifles that is. For the same reasoning as Sharpshooter. They both reach into the past for inspiration.