Thread: Lyman bore scope

Team Savage

Lyman bore scope

I bought the lyman borescope and started messing around with it. So far looks great and seems to do the job just fine. Definitely not a Hawke, but isn't priced like one either. I was able to easily see copper buildup and a host of other "imperfections". I first looked inside my wife's browning and found lots of copper so after some time cleaning it up copper was gone. The barrel had lots of tool marks but it still shoots great. Next I was going to show the wife what a aftermarket barrel looks like compared to the factory stuff. I chose my CBI in 6.5-284 and ran the camera down for her to have a look. I was shocked to say the least, it really wasn't a whole lot better than the factory browning as far as tool marks and imperfections, it doesnt copper at all and shoots fantastic. I also then peered down a couple excalibur barrels and they looked substantially better with few imperfections, they likewise shoot good as well. For one last look I shoved the camera down a factory 300wm from savage,, keep in mind this rifle has been hunted with for years and has always shot better than me and certainly good enough for a hunting gun. With that said the barrel looked absolutely horrible. There wasn't a place on it that didn't look beat up.
    Not sure why any of this is important information but I had fun messing around and thought I would let you guys know if your looking at the lyman camera I think you will be happy with it!!

Moved this down to the Firearms/Shooting Accessories board for ya since it's a better fit there.

I've found the Lyman BoreCam to be adequate for getting a basic idea of what condition your bore is in, but as you said - it's definitely no Hawkeye. Goes without saying though that how a bore looks has no correlation to how it shoots.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I've got the Lyman as well, used it on 2 BNIB no shots down the tubes FV12's in 204 & 223. To say I was disappointed is an understatment. BUT, both shoot 1/2" groups with handloads @ 100 yds on a regular basis, kinda boring in some aspects, but still fun to get those small groups.

Quote Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
    I've got the Lyman as well, used it on 2 BNIB no shots down the tubes FV12's in 204 & 223. To say I was disappointed is an understatment. BUT, both shoot 1/2" groups with handloads @ 100 yds on a regular basis, kinda boring in some aspects, but still fun to get those small groups.
    Those two guns had at least 4 shots down the bore from the factory from proof and function testing.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Those two guns had at least 4 shots down the bore from the factory from proof and function testing.
    Ok, then NIB to me, and I was still disappointed in the appearance of the bores.

Basic Member
    I really like mine. I too was surprised with what I found. Some barrels I was expecting to look flawless looked like crap, nd ones I expected to look like crap actually looked really nice. Both my x-caliber barrels have looked almost flawless, while my 1 shilen looks very disappointing. I have some old mil surps that have surprisingly very well finished bores. I found a small rust pit was the cause of a very very light "bump" I was feeling when cleaning the bore on my 1903 springfield.
    I find it to by a very handy tool if you take your guns and cleaning seriously as it can help find issues.
    However like many have said, what they look like on the inside has nothing to do with how well they shoot. Do not let a crappy looking bore get you down. Go by the groups it prints on paper. I have several that look like crap but shoot sub MOA.

Yeah I've been looking at the Lyman, on a fixed income I can't afford a Hawkeye. So now I'm saving up the cash to get a Lyman. Grafs is just 90 minutes away from me so I'll go pick it up from them when the bucks are available. I do appreciate the critiques, I am wanting to check for build up. (Copper, leading etc.) Still plan to get the Lyman.