Thread: Rifle Basix SAV-1 Install

Basic Member

Rifle Basix SAV-1 Install

I just put an SAV-1 on my Stevens 200. It was a gift several years ago that I never got around to...and only now because I recently bedded the action in a Boyds laminate stock. I figured that since I had everything apart I might as well upgrade (although the factory trigger wasn't horrible).

No problems installing the trigger. It's crisp and seems secure. The instructions say to use Loctite or nail polish to make it safe. However, all four screws (sear, trigger pull, safety, and over-travel) came pre-loaded with thread locker. Is that sufficient, or should I dab the the screws where they exceed the trigger with some clear nail polish?

Sure, Why not? cheap and a little security. Win win.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I just put in a Sav 2, same instructions on Loktite (sp???).
    It won't hurt.

Basic Member
    Thanks. The pre-loaded thread locker (paste?) seemed to make the set screws fairly stiff. I didn't back anything out but instead just dabbed some nail polish on both sides of the screws. Maybe some capillary action pulled some of it into the trigger. Or maybe all it did was cap the ends. Either way, as mentioned it can only help.

Basic Member
    Did you check the safety That is the final step in ensuring that the rifle is safe. I have only had one rifle that the safety needed adjustment out of all the triggers I have worked.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    Did you check the safety That is the final step in ensuring that the rifle is safe. I have only had one rifle that the safety needed adjustment out of all the triggers I have worked.
    The 3-position safety seems to work well. The Rifle Basix instructions said to first tighten the safety lever screw, but I found that I could barely move it. So I backed it off to what it was at with the factory trigger. Then I installed the SAV-1 and adjusted the four set screws in this order: 1) trigger pull weight; 2) sear adj.; 3) safety; and 4) over travel.

I will plan to check it after each trip to the range. I think I could back out the over-travel and safety screws pretty easily, apply some thread locker, etc. I mainly posted because I was wondering about the effectiveness of the factory applied thread locking compound.

Basic Member

Range Day Update

I took the rifle to the range yesterday and last Saturday. After about 20 rounds I noticed a slight trigger creep. The pull weight was heavier than I wanted it, too. For comparison I was also shooting my 6.5 Grendel which has a 2 stage LaRue MBT trigger (2.5 lb. first stage, 2.0 lb. second stage).

The conclusion I'd make is that the factory installed thread-locking paste was not sufficient, even with nail polish capping the ends. I'm not even sure if that stuff (brown paste) is considered a thread locker. Although, I have seen it on some Magpul MLOK accessories and assume that's the purpose.

So I backed out all four screws and liberally applied blue Loctite, adjusting the trigger just a tad lighter along the way. Fingers crossed it all stays put.

Basic Member
    Please make sure you check the middle safety position before and after a range session.