Thread: HELP! Savage Support clueless on MSR barrel pattern, armorers wrench, gas tube length and action wrench

HELP! Savage Support clueless on MSR barrel pattern, armorers wrench, gas tube length and action wrench

Does anyone know if the MSR 10 Long Range reciever will work with a DPMS pattern set?

Does anyone know what I should be looking for as a replacement (preferably adjustable) gas block/tube? I believe it to be .750 ID

Does anyone know if there is an action block out there that can be used on this rifle for an upcoming barrel swap out?

Does anyone know of an armorers wrench (or something) that can be used to get the barrel nut off with?

I'm so heated over getting continuously stupid answers from Savage Support that, given one more dumb a$$ I don't know answer, I'm telling them to stop what they're doing right now and start spraying fungicide in bowling shoes for a career. (no offence if that is your line of work and recommending these idiots to change careers).

How in the hell do you make this rifle and not have a $&**@!! clue what I'm talking about?

Thanks

CLICK ME

This should take care of the barrel wrench.
    Jester

Well, what you fail to realize is that the people answering the phones are not gunsmiths or engineers, they're low-skill hourly workers working as phone jockeys. They're trained on how to look up a serial number and generate an order for replacement parts or read standardized answers off of a FAQ worksheet.

Now to answer your questions...

1. No - the Savage MSR10 receivers are their own proprietary design that isn't compatible with any other AR10 platform because the receiver was shortened up about 1/2 to 3/4" if I remember correctly.

2. Why would you need a new gas block/tube? The MSR10's come with a low-profile adjustable block, there's nothing to upgrade.

3. No - see answer for #1 above for reason why.

4. Not sure what wrench you would need, but definitely NOT the standard Savage 110 nut wrench linked to in the post above. The MSR10 nut has 4 slots in it, each 90 degrees apart as shown in the following pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msr10_barrel_nut_0867677f2ef872a1e1e96fe36eda6a0a6ffa653f.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	5317

A Google image search for AR10 barrel nut doesn't bring up anything even close to this so I'm guessing it's Savage's own design as well. That said, depending on how tightly it's torqued down at the factory you may or may not be able to get it off with an appropriately sized spanner wrench. I also saw a few wrenches at Midway USA that had 4 pins similarly positioned, but no clue if the diameter of the pins would match up to the diameter of the slots in this nut. I can however say that the diameter of the three pins for the forearm wrench on my Tapco AR15 armorers wrench are just slightly too big to work on it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks gentlemen. I apprecaite your advice.