Thread: new redesigned 2018 Axis stock

Basic Member

new redesigned 2018 Axis stock

Does anyone have any input on how well the new Axis stocks are constructed?

How much better than the old ones are they?

I have a relatively accurate 25-06, and a very accurate .223 both were new in 2016, and the only real gripe is the stock. I wasn't really considering a new axis until I saw that they had a redesigned stock.

INPUT?

Basic Member
    I have not held one of the new Axis stocks, but they do look better. I have a heavy barrel stock with rocktite in the forearm and rear stock to give it a little weight and stiffness. I use it for my 270 and 3006 barrels and I also have a sporter stock I use for 22-250 and 243 barrels also filled with rocktite. Works great for me as I stand hunt and only walk a couple hundred yards to the stand and back to side by side. Might not work for you but check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a 2018 Axis 2 from Walmart with the new stock. I never had an older one to compare to, but from the things I've read I think there's some pretty significant differences. The trigger guard is now integral with the stock, and the magazine length baffle is a smaller separate piece in front of the trigger guard. That should help to strengthen the wrist and make them less prone to breakage (in the same way that people were gluing or bedding the trigger guard previously). The forearm has what appears to be increased bracing, using X ribs instead of the + ribs, and they look like they might be a little taller. I can still get the forearm to flex, but it certainly doesn't feel flimsy. The only issue I had was that the forearm wasn't perfectly straight and contacted the barrel on the left side. I had to shave off some material along the left side of the forearm channel to ensure that it doesn't touch, but after a little dremel work it's good to go. I'm going to shoot it like this for a while before I think about getting a Boyd's stock because it seems like the redesigned synthetic might have corrected a few of the major problems with the older one.

Basic Member
    The factory stock on mine shot well. I got the Boyd's and it makes shooting 'easier' on me. Heavier for more steady hold. And larger grip that fits my hand better. I am just glad I got the heavy barrel Axis. It barely shifts point of impact from cold to hot.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk