Thread: Bolt lock up

Bolt lock up

I just got back from testing a second round of handloads in my .308 Axis. Good new is that I found at least one excellent load with every powder I tried (I'm using Hornady 150 SST bullets). None of my loads are max loads, according to my Hornady manual. The closest I came was 1/2 a grain low with H335. So the problem is that the bolt is sticking, as if I'm over max pressure. Since every gun is different, I could accept that mine likes to be 1 or more grains light of max, but I'm getting this with midrange loads for 748, 8082XBR and 335. 760 did the same thing when I tried Sierra 150 FN (30-30 bullets). There are no flattened primers, split cases or other pressure signs I can measure. I've cleaned the bolt and the rifle, but I'm still at a loss. Any help or suggestions?
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
    - Noah Webster

Run one through full length sizer and check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arky 223 View Post
    Run one through full length sizer and check it.
    Not catchin' your drift. Run one what? Fired case? Loaded round? Looking for what, exactly?
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
    - Noah Webster

Basic Member
    I have had a couple of rounds become difficult to extract. They were neck sized. I have gone back to full length resizing all my ammo.

OK, if that's what Arky was getting at, I got it. I full length resize everything but .223 for my varmint loads. This was new brass, run through a Lee sizer/decaper.
    - Noah Webster

Arky obviously have assumed you are neck sizing.

I have found one of the best additions to my reloading to be the Redding stepped shell holders.

They allow you to use the full-length die but only as much as needed.

So, say the 0.010" offset sticks then you try the 0.008" or 0.006" offsets (that allow more case resizing).

BUT, you say you already are full length resizing.

First question would be do factory loads stick? If not, it's time to do some micrometer work on unfired vs. fired cases and see it something is up with your dies or the chamber.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Thanks Charlie and "killer", I'm sorry I didn't make my self clear. I have just had the same trouble with my 6BR that I only neck size.

OK, stumpkiller, now I have somewhere to go. I haven't shot a single factory round through this rifle. I already had an unopened bag of cases and the SSTs from a previous project. I also have an older set of RCBS dies. I'll try sizing my once fired cases with both dies and see what happens. Meanwhile, I'll try some factory loads.
    - Noah Webster

I always do a baseline with an unfired and a fired factory case, then the resized case.

Happily my M11 has a relatively "tight" chamber and there isn't a whole lot of cartridge upset. Mine headspace from 1.626" on multiple fired brass that "opens" to 1.629" when fired. SAAMI calls for a minimum 1.630" and I haven't hit that yet with even alarmingly hot loads - as in primers blown out of the fired brass! Bolt sticking for sure. Pulled the rest of the bullets out of that batch!) Because these are hunting loads I don't mind working the brass 0.003" when resizing to assure feeding in all conditions. The factory loads and unprimed brass seem to be 1.622" (three different manufactures, Peterson are 1.619")
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik