Thread: XCaliber Sale.

XCaliber Sale.

XCaliber has a 25% off sale until October 1. Just ordered a new 6.5 WSM!

Basic Member
    sounds like a good deal, if i were to order a new 223 26" SS barrel, in an 8 twist there are 2 choices either a 6 groove or an 3 groove, any comments

chet

This does not address your 3 or 6 question directly but here is a remotely connected word from Frank Green @ Bartlein.

The number of grooves? To me the number of grooves has no real bearing on accuracy or barrel life! Some say if you want hard core accuracy go with conventional rifling vs. a 5R type barrel. Some say the 5R's copper foul less. I say B.S. I've seen 5R copper foul with the best of them. Some say the 5R barrels will seal the bullet better in the bore and you get more velocity out of it. Again I haven't seen this either. Some say the 5R barrels don't leave a burr on the bullet and will drift less in the wind. I haven't seen this either.

99% of the barrels we make for short range bench shooters are 4 groove conventional rifling.

Across the course high power shooters seems to be a 50/50 split.

Long range prone shooters seem to prefer the 5R.

Long range bench shooters I would say the preference is more towards conventional.

I've got a conventional 5 groove (not 5R) on my short range bench gun. Wanted to try it! The gun hammers!

I've shot 5R's and 4 groove in prone matches out to a thousand and even compared both in the same match (two man team) and saw no difference. Our team came in 3rd place in that match. Same chambers, same loads! Both guns we're chambered in 6mm Rem with a custom throat. Shoot mostly Berger 105's and Sierra 107's. Both are 1-8 twist. Velocity difference between the 2 is 30fps. The loads average 3155fps between the two. In the match where we shot both on the same relay at the same time. We didn't use anymore or any less windage on one gun vs. the other.

To me it is more of the quality of the barrel blank. The straighter, the more uniform your bore sizes and the more uniform the twist the more forgiving it is going to be.

Hope this helps!

Frank @ Bartlein

One quick last thing I forgot and this one is open for debate also. Some will say that the odd number of groove barrel will help with jacket failure. This is because the odd number of grooves vs. an even groove barrel will distort or upset the bullet jacket less. This is because the lands don't directly oppose one another. I believe this has some merit but is hard to prove.

I compared a 6mm 5R and a 4 groove in the match mentioned above. The 4 groove was the second barrel in a row that would blow up one manufacturers bullets but not another. So for awhile I stopped using the one bullet. Got to scared to use them. So I wanted to see what would happen. Bought some more of those manf. bullets and guess what? No failures in either one. So in away that kinda blows the theory.

Both barrels we're made to the same bore and groove size and same twist. Same chamber reamer was made in both of them and the same loads shot thru them. Why didn't the one barrel blow up anymore of the one style of bullets. I chalk it up to being a different lot. Maybe the one lot I got had problems with the cores? Hard to say!

Frank

Your question about the 3 groove barrels?

Again I don't see a difference in the number of grooves effecting barrel life etc...One barrel maker who is making 3 groove barrels the last I heard was claiming they last longer. This might be true in a button barrel because of the wider lands. On average I don't see a button barrel lasting as long as a cut rifled barrel. Why?

Because the button rifling operation work hardens the bore. I'm not saying a button barrel will not go a long time or a cut barrel can burn out early as I've seen both. It's just what we see on average. Can I put a number on it. Not really but if I had to about 20% longer on cut barrels. Keep in mind there are alot of variables that effect barrel life. One guy shoots a powder that is more abrasive than another is an example. Not to mention the steel from one lot to another even if you are getting the steel from the same supplier can be a variable. The list doesn't stop almost.

When we we're at Krieger back around 1999 or 2000 Tracy made the tooling for 3 groove .30cal. palma barrels and we made a couple of tight bore .30cal. barrels that we're made for Mid Tompkins. Mid told me that accuracy wise out to 800 yards they shot just fine compared to the 4 grooves. The only problem was both barrels we're a flat 100-150fps. slower than his 4 grooves so they wouldn't cut it at 900 and a 1000 yds. due to the velocity loss. Why? Maybe because of the wider lands? Hard to say sometimes but that is my guess.

Also at Krieger before we we're gone we made a cut rifled barrel and a button rifled barrel in .224 cal. for John. He chambered them in .22-250 and put them on some prairie dog rifles and was taking them out west. They we're made out of the same lot of steel and got the same loads thru them. Accuracy wise both shot great but the button rifled barrel was exhibiting more wear with the same round count on both. Both barrels we're being shot in the same conditions and same loads we're being run thru them.

I've seen 2 groove, 3's, 4's, 5's and 6's all shoot excellent so again I say there is no difference in accuracy or barrel life. But when you compare one or the other you should be comparing/testing the barrels being made out of the same lot of steel and being made from the same maker and being shot in the same environment. This is the only way to get good results but who has got the time, money etc...to do this? That is the hard part.

Also it is funny you should ask about 3 groove 6mm's. Around Christmas time we we're talking about making some and getting them out in shooting community to get feed back on them. I will keep you posted on this.

Talk to you later, Frank
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have 2 SS xcal's in both .223 1:7 5R and a .243 1:8 5R. I have not gotten serious in playing with them yet, but both are shooting 1/2 MOA or better with the right load. And while they did get some copper in them it cleaned up real easy...much easier than my Savage barrels. I assume the ease of cleaning is due more to the lapping than anything else.

I don't have the time, energy or tools to try and compare to my standard grooved barrels. But in my mind I like the concepts of 5R and what it does/can/could bring to the table.

As for your question of 6 vs 3. Maybe ask yourself just what are you going to do with it? Seeing how you are going 26" I figure on some long range stuff? Maybe go for the 7 twist and 5R and shoot the really long, heavy bullets. I would almost think the less grooves you smash in with the button the less overall stress you will have in the metal...but who knows. I think the quality of the blank and the straightness of the hole is far more important. And then the lapping takes care of the chatter marks...that Savages are full of

What chamber are you having reamed into it? And really...it's a $250 barrel...get 2 and compare them.

Basic Member
    I decided to try X-Caliber with a big boomer config for my Frankenstein Savage. I missed the sale by two weeks. These people were so good that when I called and asked them about maybe a retroactive price drop. They held firm on not applying the sale price to it...but! They did throw in free cryo. I never bothered to look at cryo but heck, for free? I can see if I like it.

300 RUM
    416R
    1 in 7 twist
    5R rifling
    5 straight flutes
    11 degree crown with large muzzle brake

I do hope I like the barrel. These people seem to be really customer orientated. They bent over backwards for me.

They do great work. .270 win. 5 r.

Basic Member
    I bought a 243win SS 1:8 twist, 22" Rem Sendero contour, threaded for 5/8-24.
    After setup and with a SiCo Harvester I tried some loads.
    3 shot groups ranged from 0.615" to 1.68" for the one with a pulled shot, the other 2 shots were about 0.4" apart.

47.5gr of 7828 and Rem 9 1/2 loaded to the lands gave a 2 shot group of 0.35". Shows promise as I will go up in charge a little and hopefully get speeds.
    Those were shots 7-34, after 6 shots to zero scope (different load for first 5 shots).

Randomly I logged on to XCaliber yesterday to check contours and run into the sale. Couldn't pass it up.
    I ordered a SS 7mmRM 1:9 6 groove, threaded 5/8-24 and finished at 24" to shoot suppressed.

Basic Member
    ahh shoot should have looked around more, i really could have used 25% off

One month later my barrel has arrived! The 29" bull 6.5 WSM. Great job XCaliber! Now if only my two barrels from Apache ordered over a year ago can come in. ��

Basic Member
    Did you get your barrels, hows that mcgowen? that your selling interested does X caliber do sales often?