Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 111 Magazine??

I have noticed that this gun really prefers that the bolt be open when you put a magazine in. I don't really like doing it that way, but I think that's been a large part of the problem. This is my first time working on a sporting rifle. I have had a number of bolt action rifles, but they were all surplus military rifles. I guess what really attracts me in a b/a is wrapped in lots of walnut, with a bayonet lug for a really big bayonet. I'm surprised how many subtle differences in paradigm there really are. One of the things I like about this rifle is the detachable bolt head. If my understanding of the engineering I see serves me correctly, that means you can rechamber this gun just by changing the barrel and the bolt head. That's convenient.

I guess this will be my final report on this rifle, the magazine works well enough, and I replaced the bolt bits that were missing. I do intend to do the bolt slicking mod to it, since it is way too stiff on opening, making it nearly impossible to stay on target through the scope whilst cycling the bolt. I see a lot of people online putting extensions on their bolt handles, and having handled one, I know why. But that is so not the right solution to that problem, at least not IMHO. And I threaded the barrel for a muzzle brake, since this gun is so light, although I haven't decided on which brake to go with, yet. But I like the light weight, I'm just not sure how much it will effect my follow up time and accuracy. And there is something about the way this action sounds that I like, it's sort of a hollow sound with a very crisp edge on it, hard to describe, really. Something about it's resonance that's not quite the same as what I am used to.
    I still haven't had a chance to take it out to the range, but I dialed in the scope with my laser bore sighter, but was only able to in large part because I was able to tune my laser using the iron sights on my Springfield. I don't know if I could have gotten a reliable degree of accuracy without iron sights. The idea is to get the laser onto the the iron sight picture, first, when that dot sits on the front sight blade of the iron sights, then you can dial in the scope to the laser dot, and that will be pretty damn close. It will certainly get you on paper, if not on target. I hear people crying about getting on paper at the range, there is no reason to go through all that trouble. My laser was less than $10, and gets more than close enough. It might not need to be adjusted any more than that at all. Everyone should have one of those.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12