Thread: Bedding results

Basic Member

Bedding results

The AccuStock on my Model 10T-SR 223 that I bought from Cabelas did not fit me very well. I tried an At-One stock from Boyds and did not like the way the cheek and butt pieces felt, too flimsy. I bought a Boyd's Pro-Varmint and then pillar and glass bedded the action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pillars.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	5342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acraglas gel.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	5343
    The photo on the left shows the pillars set in place with Acraglas epoxy and the one on the right the final glass bedding with Acraglas Gel. (that stuff is nice by the way) After letting the Acraglas gel cure for 48 hours I hit the range today and my first group was 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

I'm loading it with 73gr ELD Match bullets and 22.5 grains of Alliant AR-Comp.

I'm a happy camper.

Good job.

I plan on doing mine after deer season. I already have the aluminum pillars (I'll lap the curve to the receiver) and AccraGlas Gel to bed my Boyd's Thumbhole Lightweight and M11 action. Added a metal trigger guard as well.

I'm hoping it will help the consistant drift to left I get as the barrel heats up.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Good job.

I plan on doing mine after deer season. I already have the aluminum pillars (I'll lap the curve to the receiver) and AccraGlas Gel to bed my Boyd's Thumbhole Lightweight and M11 action. Added a metal trigger guard as well.

I'm hoping it will help the consistant drift to left I get as the barrel heats up.
    Does your rifle have a detachable box mag or one that if filled down thru the action? If a DBM be sure to run several tests with the pillars in place to hold everything together and make sure that the bolt will strip rounds from the mag and feed into the chamber BEFORE you glue everything in place.

Oh yes. Been there already. Mine is the detachable center-feed magazine. And I had to shim between the "bottom metal" and the Boyd's stock as it came with a couple reworked stainless washers to seat the magazine and keep the action from binding using the OEM bolts and the "bottom metal" parts. Amazing what a difference 3/32" can make!

I plan on bedding the action with the pillars bolted in place without the bottom metal. Then milling the lower inlets of any hardened gel and bedding the bottom metal separately (if necessary) after the action bedding hardens. If I get it right the pillars will be bare and flush top & bottom.

The best part about AccraGlas is that it DOES grow back! ;-)

Basic Member
    Nice job. Since I'm sure I missed it, what kind of grouping were you getting before?

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    Nice job. Since I'm sure I missed it, what kind of grouping were you getting before?

David

The rifle would shoot moa groups with an occasional 1/2 moa. I'm hoping to make that consistent with the new stock and bedding job. I ordered the Pro-Varmint 1/4 inch longer and with the adjustable comb to get a better fit. Today I'm headed back to the range with bullets seated 20, 30 and 40 thou off the lands to see if the groups will get consistent. Yesterday the best was 17 thou off and fell apart when I went closer to 8 thou. My other 223 with a Pro-Varmint shoots 1/4 MOA with 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and that is where I want this one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    The rifle would shoot moa groups with an occasional 1/2 moa. I'm hoping to make that consistent with the new stock and bedding job. I ordered the Pro-Varmint 1/4 inch longer and with the adjustable comb to get a better fit. Today I'm headed back to the range with bullets seated 20, 30 and 40 thou off the lands to see if the groups will get consistent. Yesterday the best was 17 thou off and fell apart when I went closer to 8 thou. My other 223 with a Pro-Varmint shoots 1/4 MOA with 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and that is where I want this one.
    Sounds like you have a plan. I'm new to centerfire rifles so I'm learning from you all. I'll be buying my first centerfire hopefully soon, a Savage 110 Tactical LH in 308.

David

Ya'll should easily be shooting 1/2 minute groups after you pillar the Pro Varmint and occasionally 1/4 Minute groups when you're "in the zone". That's the results I got from my 260 when I did it... Haven't bedded the action either, just pillars.

Also used the Acra Glass Gel for the pillars.

Basic Member
    Here are the range results. 22.5 gr AR-Comp powder 20 thou off the lands with 73 gr ELD-Match. MV was 2946 SD 8.6. 100 yd five shot group

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H2 .380 moa.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	5346

Sweet!